Switch to full style
Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Post a reply

Upgraded to Windows 10 - can't do much anymore

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:04 pm

This is very weird. I am in FL for a few months and started with a new computer here. It came with windows 8.1 and my Producer 7 (70_3527) worked fine.
After all the nagging to install Windows 10, I finally did so last night. As had happened to me at home, Windows 10 changed all my files to Read only. This time the fixes that worked for me in NJ, didn't work on this computer.

Producer would open, I could populate the slides with pictures, I could add a style, change effects - BUT as soon as I clicked on one of the menu items (File, Edit, Show, Slide etc) I get an error message
"Proshow has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I tried everything I could think of. I tried all the ideas suggested on the help sections of the internet. I reinstalled producer, I ran it as admin, nothing worked.

Finally I reverted to Windows 8.1 tonight. That fixed my scanner that I was also having trouble with, but Producer still has the same problem.

I can click on the 2nd row of tools (the one with the wizard and such) I can save my show from that line. It is only if I click on the top menu line that the problem shows up.

I sent an email to support tonight, but thought maybe someone here has already found an answer to this strange problem. Hope so?
Terry

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 - can't do much anymore

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Just an update on the problem I've had. Evidently the installer was not able to create the directory for Producer because of the read only settings on the folders in Program files (x86)
and so, somehow it got installed into a temp directory. When I looked for the location of the files, it said it was in user/ Program files (x86) Photosdex/ Producer, but when I opened that folder, it was empty.
I don't think I can explain all that I went through to get the read only removed, but if anyone else has the same problem, I will try.
I have now gotten producer installed in the correct place and it works just as it should, but I shouldn't have had to spend so much time fixing something that Microsoft should have already taken care of. There are enough people who have reported the problem, but there doesn't appear to be an easy answer to fix it.
Post a reply