PSP crashed. Cannot open psh file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

PSP crashed. Cannot open psh file

Postby athesen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:58 pm

I am running Producer on a Mackintosh using VMWare. PSP suddenly crashed, and my psh file does not open. I have deleted the ProShow phd and cfg files. No effect.

What next?

Re: PSP crashed. Cannot open psh file

Postby cherub » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:30 pm

athesen wrote:
What next?

Usually, what gets corrupted is the show cache.
That is a file with the name of your show, and with the extension pxc
This file is rather large, and it is located in the folder where you saved the show.
It will be recreated when you next open the program.

This is the very first thing to try when something goes amiss with a show.

Thanks, but did not help

Postby athesen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately it did not work.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

You can try one of the backup files. you can copy the .bak file. Then change the .bak to .psh. or one of the .b0x files (where you can change the extension to .psh).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 pm

You can also open the .psh file in a text editor and look it it. It is in plain text - not easy reading, but look at it (especially the end) and see if you see anything obvious. Can you open a new test show without a problem?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

No luck

Postby athesen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:22 pm

The psh file looks consistent with other phs files.
All my other shows are ok.
The PXC file is incomprehensible, as is the PHD file.
The BAK and Bxx files do not work

Any other ideas?

Fortunately I am not in desperate need as I occasionally save my files under a different name. I probably have lost about one hour of work.

However this is not the first time I have experienced a catastrophic failure (hence the independent backups). It would be nice to have a plan to deal with them.

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:13 pm

The pxc file is a no starter ... As is the .PHD and the .CFG etc... Don't bother. They aren't a concern. The pxc file will always be created if the program can't find it. The same occurs for the PHD and CFG files. These are used by the program for various things.

You're concerned with the PSH, BAK, and b0x files. These are TEXT files. They are associated directly with your shows. Any text editor should be able to read them.

If you take a copy of the B01 file and change the extension to PSH (eg, myShowFile.b01 becomes myShowFile.psh), ProShow should still be able to open it. These files too should have been created PRIOR to you crash, whatever that was (the larger the bxx value, the older it should be, I believe).

If you cannot open the PSH file at all (any PSH file) then you've got a serious problem with the installation. You may have to resinstall the program. Not all of those backup files (BAK or bxx) should be corrupted ... The backup files aren't created unless the show can be opened ... So, I'm wondering if there's another problem going on here. Also, for the "grasping for straws" aspect of things... You might provide a copy of the show (or one of its backup files) for someone to take a gander at. See if they can open it.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Thanks.

Postby athesen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:08 am

I think I know what happened. The phs file became corrupted when my system crashed. My failure to open any of the backup filed was due to the fact that I could not just click on a Bxx file to open it. Coming from an Apple environment I did not know that I had to change the file qualifier first (nor did I know how to do that).

Again, I appreciate your helpful comments. Now I have to figure out why my system crashed (clearly not a ProShow problem)

Postby im42n8 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:51 am

Actually, you CAN do this through ProShow without doing the manual stuff. .... PROVIDED you can open the original. A corrupted original PSH kind of kills off the in-program approach. Too, I like the manual approach ONLY because I get to do the controlling.

TO do it within ProShow, OPEN the program. Then, got to Tools | Revert to Backup.

As I said, this approach doesn't work when the original PSH is corrupted (hence why I didn't mention it earlier). This is an area where improvement would be a welcome addition. Heck, if you DO NOT know how set things up to open a backup file WITHOUT going through the program ... you're completely at loss. The way ProShow is implemented, opening a backup (.bak or .bxx) from within the programrelies upon opening a existing PSH file. If that file is corrupted for some odd reason ... fuhgetaboutit. Sucks eh? The extensions .bak and .bxx are not registered to ProShow as ProShow slideshow files ... and so aren't opened by ProShow when double-clicked upon.

That's why KNOWING that the .BAK and the .Bxx files are files you can open in ProShow AFTER changing the extension from it's current value to PSH.

Also, you should be able to open the corrupted and the bak files up in a text editor (CEdit or the like) and then compare the two. That might point to where the "corruption" exists. Worth a try.

Glad you were able to work it out.

Dale

Postby athesen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:08 am

Dale.
Thanks, and merry christmas.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting