Producer crashing when trying to do CAPTION - SOLVED !!!

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Producer crashing when trying to do CAPTION - SOLVED !!!

Postby Astra » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Please, can somebody help me with this strange problem:
My Producer (latest version) doesn't want to do ANY Caption.

What will happen, when I will try to create any caption: little blue circle (like when you are loading something) will appear, will run several circles, then screen will "whiten-up" - & all is frozen, cannot even cancel.... When checking "Window Task Manager" - it will say: "Program not responding" .... when canceled - it will crash.

When I will start Producer again, it'll say: last session was not ended properly, and ask if I want to open "Last Saved one" ??? .. AND YOU HAVE to say: "YES", otherwise you will NOT BE ABLE to open this show again - even any previous "bak" files. (It happened to me once - I said "NO" - & a show was totally un-usable then .. Deleted "psx" file, renamed "bak" files into "psh" - nothing worked ...)

Did anybody had similar problem ?? ... and how did you solve it ??

Thanks, Alex
Last edited by Astra on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Producer crashing when trying to do CAPTION, help.....

Postby cherub » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:27 pm

I haven't seen this specific problem, but I've had problems with fonts before, in all the versions of Producer.
You are not saying what font you are using. Is it a special OTF font by any chance ?
Try to use Arial instead.
If you can't change the font because Producer is crashing, try to uninstall the font from Windows first, and then to reload the show. Let Producer report that the font is missing, and that it's going to replace it.
When your show has loaded, replace the font with Arial.
Let me know if this helped.

Another idea just occurred to me:
Is your caption a text layer perhaps? Have you by any chance used the new feature of converting a gradient or a solid layer into a text layer?

Postby Astra » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 am

Cherub, thank you for a reply.
It is not any specific font - it is a Producer's Command itself.

Here is the flow of events:
1. I'm in: "BUILD" screen
2. Click the slide - will open it
3. On left side - there is: "Name of slide" on top (with 4x lines: Slide Setting, Slide Style, Slide Sound, Default Background) .... followed by: "Captions" with "+" icon ... last one is "Layers"
4. And here is the problem: ANY TIME I click on "+" in Captions, this Blue Circle will start to "roll" - I just cannot even start any caption !!!! and after a while WHOLE computer screen will get "transparent whitish" and will not continue .... & even tried to wait - 2 minutes & still nothing.....
..... I tried also: "Add Title" on the Menu ... & (Ctrl+Shift+C) keyboard shortcut ===> same result.

.... (More computer details: Windows 7, plenty of HardDisc space, enough Memory....)
5. I did not have this problem in May-19-2015 - when still working on Producer-Ver6.3410, and also did not on May-22, after I installed Ver-7.3514 on May-20.
6. FIRST TIME I did noticed this, was on June-22-2015 - (lost the small show, I thought I did something wrong, did not paid too much attention to it) ..... it was after update to to Ver-7.3518 on May-27.
7. It is also not any Slideshow specific - I started a NEW Slideshow, with just 3x slides, no music, no photos, no transitions ======> same thing....

I'm totally baffled - had anybody experience same thing??
Thanks, Alex

Postby cherub » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 am

You might try a new install of the program (after uninstalling it).
Just remember that Photodex recommend to disable your security programs before installing (Anti-Virus and/or firewall).

Also, you might try to run the program as administrator. In the past I had some awkward issues, and this helped (I am also on Win 7).
Right click on the Producer icon on your Desktop and choose "Run as Administrator".

Postby Astra » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 am

Cherub/Mona,
thank you - I will try all your recommendations:
a. Un-install & Reinstall,
b. Disable security programs before install,
c. Run the program as Administrator.

Thanks again, Alex

Re: Producer crashing when trying to do CAPTION - SOLVED !!!

Postby Astra » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

:lol: Problem SOLVED :lol:
I'm happy to announce, that my problem was solved (in a very mysterious way ... as usual - computers are very devious creatures...)

Before attempting to do radical suggestion from Mona (thank you for your advice - it was going to be my "last straw" solution) -
- I also emailed to Photodex - got reply on 3rd day: "....go to Program directory, locate a file called "proshow.phd" and delete it. (Do NOT remove "proshow.cfg"). Then simply run the program again and test stability to function properly."
.... So I did this - & it did NOT repair my problem.....

Then I've got an idea: I've opened the Show (about a month old, where the Captions were still working properly), of course - copied the show file before any tinkering, opened the copy & to my surprise - Captions WERE OK over there !!! - so I copied a SLIDE with Captions & pasted it into "test" show, (where the Captions did not work before) -
- AND - suddenly - it WAS WORKING :!: ... and the same happy happening was in the "real" show (again a copy of it, just for safety reason).

:?: ... go and figure ... :?:

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting