cant drag photos

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

cant drag photos

Postby marion » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:37 am

I was so happy everything works again...but now i cant drag photos to the layers. I can drag them to the box but if i want to change a pic in the layers for a different one it will not do so. Whats happened now?
Marion

Re: cant drag photos

Postby cherub » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:16 am

I've never heard of such a problem before.
But, tampering with the registry of Windows can sometimes have unexpected results. That is why I don't use Revo Uninstaller.
Perhaps someone else here has some other ideas.

Postby marion » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 am

Since revo uninstall it was fine, all day yesterday and today. No problems at all. So if it was caused by tempering with the register it would have had this problem from the beginning after using revo or not?

Postby cherub » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 am

I honestly don't know.
Depends on what you attempted to do yesterday (if you tried to drag and drop). Or maybe when you last rebooted your computer.

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 am

Sometimes the Program will "crash" ... in a fashion called a "silent" crash. All sorts of odd things can happen in such a situation. Whenever it happens to me, I save the show and exit the program immediately. Generally, that solves the problem. I'm then once again able to drag and drop to replace an image layer.

When strange things start happening, restart the program. These odd things can be the lack of a drag and drop replace (drag and drop yes ... but to replace an existing layer, no). Hitting play may result in nothing being shown despite the play icon moving right. Or the screen goes gray during play ... or stops updating. Or there's no preview during a scrub. You can select a layer and nothing will appear to change (to reflect the selection of another layer).

Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby anitaemile » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:09 am

Hi Marion

Happens to me sometimes too. Removing the program's photodex.cfg and the photodex.phd files will make it work again . (In your photodex program files that is ).
Good Luck

Anita

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 am

While removing the proshow.phd or proshow.cfg (Anita meant "proshow" not photodex...) is often a good idea when "odd" things occur while using the ProShow, it is quite possible that neither is the culprit behind a "silent" crash (as in: "not related in any way")... hence the reason I did not mention it in the previous post.

Still it IS worth noting that removing EITHER the PHD or CFG file can be worthwhile. Further, the CFG file is usually NOT corrupted (the PHD file is the one that is most often the culprit) ... so, you probably do NOT want to simply remove it when also removing the PHD file. Note that if you remove BOTH files (after which ProShow will generate a new copy), you will lose all of your configuration settings and all of the "recently" edited files. The PHD and CFG files share information so that if 1 file is removed, not all information is lost. Remove both and, effectively, all program settings are set back to default. So, if necessary, remove the PHD file only ... and if you STILL have problems then try removing the CFG file.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Esteemed Member

Postby JBD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 am

I would suggest that you do not remove (delete) the phd and cfg files. Simply rename them to something like "oldproshow.phd and oldproshow.cfg.

Then if you don't like what happens when Proshow generates new files you can always delete the new generated files and rename oldproshow files to proshow.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 am

Actually, renaming the PHD and / or CFG files as given by JBD is EXCELLENT advice. I rename them proshow[date].phd or proshow[date].cfg or something similar. If it's a quick check, to see if there's any problem, I use proshow._phd or proshow._cfg .

Dale

Postby anitaemile » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:24 pm

I usually drag the "deleted files" onto my desktop and keep them there for later reference . It is easy to remember which files to remove next time something "odd" happens and I can simply re insert them if problems occur .
The issue with drag and drop has happened quite often.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Indeed, I've had a lot of problems with being able to drag but not drop in version 7. As Dale says, it's a "silent" crash, and following his advice of saving and closing the program the moment you see it happening is more than prudent. It's pretty much chased me back to using version 6 because of sheer paranoia.

Anita, I do exactly as you do, dragging the .phd file to the desktop. It's fast and easy, and the file doesn't have to be hunted down in case it's needed.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting