Preview playback issue

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Preview playback issue

Postby rowe56 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 am

Hi all, When I try to preview edits I have made to a video show it shudders and skips frames so the only way for me to "see" what the edits have done to the show is to render it. Not an efficient way to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Preview playback issue

Postby im42n8 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:07 am

This skipping and stuttering might be sign that your system can't handle the volume of video data coming its way. If your card is one of the older ones, it probably isn't using the hardware acceleration (that is, the video card itself to handle much of the video processing). Check the Playback preferences in the Preferences. If GPU Acceleration is disabled, you can try enabling it and trying again. If you can't enable it, the video card doesn't support it. If GPU acceleration can't be used, try reducing the resolution in the Rendering section. The Software Fallback Resolution is default set to 800x600 but might be set to a much higher value ... adjusting this so a lower level might work for you ... by today's standards, 800x600 is going to provide pretty grainy and/or blurred playback on the bigger monitors. However, it might be what you need. You also might turn off direct draw for now.

If you can't enable the GPU Acceleration, you also might want to consider upgrading your video card if possible. I know it's frustrating not being able to see much during scrubbing or regular playback in the program ... with so many frames being dropped, it's hard to see what's really going on and is also not so pleasant a visual experience.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby rowe56 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks Dale for your reply and suggestions. I tried them but to no avail. Must be my Laptop is too slow. I have a Toshiba Laptop...Core i3...4GB Memory...Processor speed 2.13GHz...64 Bit...Max. Amount of Memory on Nvidia Gforce graphics card is 512 MB.

Postby im42n8 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:16 am

Yeah, my experience with older laptops was less than steller too. Playback was affected and definitely detracted from the viewing experience. Even DVDs in that case "might" be problematic too ... tho not as bad. But, you shouldn't have to resort to that to test things out. At 512MB I'd have to think that the video card probably doesn't support GPU acceleration and if it does, there's not enough memory to really make a heck of a lot of playback difference. GForce cards have been around for awhile now ... and it may be that it lacks the floating point oomph and the video processing speed to do what you need. If it's 5 or more years old, that may be the root "problem." [sigh ... bummer!]

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby bob walden » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm

I think I may have a similar problem. I have a Dell 8100 and the video card died. Replaced it with a NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS. When I preview on FullScreen the images are pixelated. And in the preferences it shows the GPU ACCELERATOR is Not enabled. Does this just effect the preview or will the output be pixelated also?

Postby cherub » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:53 pm

bob walden wrote:I think I may have a similar problem. I have a Dell 8100 and the video card died. Replaced it with a NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS. When I preview on FullScreen the images are pixelated. And in the preferences it shows the GPU ACCELERATOR is Not enabled. Does this just effect the preview or will the output be pixelated also?

No, it will not effect the final video output, if you are creating a DVD or a video clip.
But if you create an exe file, then, yes, it will show.

But, I think that maybe your new graphics card is not defined properly on your computer, and that's why Producer couldn't work with GPU acceleration.
Try giving a call to Photodex Service Dept, and see if they can help you more.

Postby rowe56 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 am

I just purchased the below PC thinking that surely this would be enough power to solve the preview problem but still having the same issue. Do I need more power than this? Very perplexing.
ASUS M52BC-US003S Desktop PC
Processor
AMD FX-8300 3.3 GHz

Processor Main Features
64 bit 8-Core Processor Cache Per Processor 8MB L3 Cache
Memory
8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
2 TB 7200 RPM
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 270 2 GB GDDR5

Postby bob walden » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:54 am

Still trying to get it resolved with the service department. Must be the new video card because it wasn't a problem before.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting