Having trouble with duplicate layers in a slide style

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Having trouble with duplicate layers in a slide style

Postby Triggaaar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 am

I'm using the Slide style Random Collage (from style pack 5). It's suitable for 3 pictures, and I want to duplicate it for 6 pictures. If I just run it twice, I'm not getting the transition between the two sets that I'd like.

There is probably a good way to join two together that I don't know, and since I don't know, I thought I'd have a go at creating a version of the style for 6 images (as I may want to use it more than once, it could be worth my effort).

So I duplicated every layer in the style, and renamed all the new layers with the prefix 2. Without adjusting the keyframe timings, it runs as before. But when I uncheck/hide the duplicate layers, the style stopped working. I've found that some of my layers don't work properly any more (I think the duplicates go above the originals, as it's the top ones that don't work). For eample, layers 3 and 4 are the same, but if I tick layer 3 and hide 4, the slide doesn't work, but if I tick 4 and hide 3, it does. I cannot find a difference between the layers.

This has happened with a few layers, and on some occasions I've been able to redo the duplicate, remove the broken layer, and finished with two layers that would both work (I can then move on to making keyframe timing adjustments), but with some layers I'm unable to get two versions of the layer working.

Is this a software bug, or am I doing something completely wrong etc?

Many thanks

Re: Having trouble with duplicate layers in a slide style

Postby cherub » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 am

I don't know if you are aware that the Photodex style "Random Collage" is based on modifiers.
The layer named Image 1 Master is the leader of the panning motion, while all the remaining layers are following in its tracks by means of pan modifiers.
Do you see the red dots next to the pan values of the layers?
Those are the modifiers. Right click on one of those dots, choose "Edit Modifier", and try to understand how it is built.
I didn't quite follow your description of what you did and didn't do, but, if you don't use the same kind of modifiers, and the layer defined as Master as leader of the motion, nothing will come out of your slide. Duplicating things automatically is not the solution, in this case.

Another word of caution:
When you rebuild a slide style, you cannot add extra pictures by duplicating the existing layers. Duplicated layers in a slide style are always linked to a certain image (picture). If you try to replace a picture in one of the layers, all the duplicated layers will have this same picture. Renaming the layers won't solve this problem.
So, in your case, simply add additional pictures and copy the effects. Don't duplicate layers.

Postby Triggaaar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

No I've not heard of modifiers before. I had just realised that Image 1 Master was different, and that I wouldn't necessarily want to use two of them.

Do you see the red dots next to the pan values of the layers?
Those are the modifiers. Right click on one of those dots, choose "Edit Modifier", and try to understand how it is built.
Thanks, that should help - I've got lots to learn (used PS Gold 4 before switching).

I didn't quite follow your description of what you did and didn't do, but, if you don't use the same kind of modifiers, and the layer defined as Master as leader of the motion, nothing will come out of your slide.
It's work in progress. If I can do it by using the Master as leader, that's great, I'll do that.

Another word of caution:
When you rebuild a slide style, you cannot add extra pictures by duplicating the existing layers. Duplicated layers in a slide style are always linked to a certain image (picture). If you try to replace a picture in one of the layers, all the duplicated layers will have this same picture. Renaming the layers won't solve this problem.
Yes, I've just discovered that :oops:

So, in your case, simply add additional pictures and copy the effects. Don't duplicate layers.
Great, thank you. I was just trying that a minute ago. Not sure which settings to copy, so perhaps I can just do them all, and then try adjusting the keyframes timing, as per the original plan.

Postby Triggaaar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:10 am

I've added all the layers, and copied the settings, with the exception of the adjustment layers (or whatever they are). Eg, layer 11. I don't know exactly what they are, or how to add them to my new layers.

Any advice much appreciated.

Postby cherub » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 am

Triggaaar wrote:I've added all the layers, and copied the settings, with the exception of the adjustment layers (or whatever they are). Eg, layer 11. I don't know exactly what they are, or how to add them to my new layers.
Any advice much appreciated.

Here are some of the names of those layers, in case you don't see the full line of text:
Layer 10: Bkgd Duplicate 3 (Img1) Mask
Layer 11: Bkgd Duplicate 3 (Img1)
Layer 12: Bkgd Duplicate 3 (Img1)

Starting from layer 9 to layer 19, you have combinations of duplicated layers that create the effects that you see in the background.
Some of the layers are used as masks, some have various degrees of blur, of tilt and of shadow.
All for the purpose of making the slide more beautiful and interesting to watch :D

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting