How can I have PSP versions 4.5 AND 6 on my PC?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

How can I have PSP versions 4.5 AND 6 on my PC?

Postby weebolddavy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:39 am

Hi folks I would be grateful for some advice. I have recently upgraded to Producer version 6.0. Until now have been using version 4.5 very happily. I'm sure that I can't be alone in saying I'm finding it an extremely steep learning curve as they are so different! The problem is that I have a number of clients wanting me to make shows for them and don't have the time available to learn version 6 well enough to make a good show. :oops:

Is there any way I can have Versions 4.5 AND 6.0 on my PC at the same time? (I have the DVD for version 6) When I install Version 6 it overwrites Version 4.5 It would be nice to be able to learn PSP 6 at my own pace while still being able to use version 4.5 to make shows as required.

I can see the opportunities that PSP 6 offers and am quite excited by the prospect of learning it but life won't allow me the time I would like (need!)

I would appreciate if you could keep your answers as simple as possible. :oops: I'm using Windows XP at present.

Regards
Davy Caldwell
Even the longest journey starts with a single step

Re: How can I have PSP versions 4.5 AND 6 on my PC?

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:42 am

Yes, of course you can. There are a number of threads in the forum that explain how to do this, but I'll repeat it here too.

I assume that at present, you have only Producer 6 installed, because it overwrote ver. 4.5 that you had previously.
I also assume that you still have an install file for ver. 4.5 (you only mentioned that you have the DVD for ver.6, but said nothing about ver. 4.5).

You need to create an additional directory on your hard drive. Call it Producer 4.5, for example
You can place this new directory here: C:\Program Files\Photodex\Producer 4.5

Start installing ver. 4.5. Pay close attention to the directory it installs. By default it will go to C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShow Producer
You need to change that, to the directory that you just created. So write instead this C:\Program Files\Photodex\Producer 4.5

That's it, really.
After the install, you will have 2 versions of Producer on your computer.

Since ver. 4.5 was the last version to be installed, it will become your default, and all the files will be associated with it.

In order to access ver. 6, you will need to create a new shortcut on your desktop for this version.

Please let me know if my explanation was clear enough, and if you need an install file for ver. 4.5.

Postby weebolddavy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:09 am

Hi Mona
Thank you for taking time to reply. I do have a shortcut link for version 4.5 which I clicked and it over wrote version 6. So version 4.5 is my default version at present (thank goodness!)
If I try to install version 6 from the DVD will it give me the option of creating a file ie, C:\Program Files\Photodex\ Producer 6 OR will it simply overwrite ie. upgrade my present default version 4.5 to version 6?

Kind Regards

Davy

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 am

So, your situation is the opposite of what I described above ? It's a bit hard for me to follow. :D

Producer remembers the path into which it has been installed last.
So, if you don't want a new install to go where it went previously, you must change that. You have to create a directory named Producer 6 by yourself, if you don't have it. Otherwise, it will overwrite the previous version. So, pay attention where the program wants to install, and change that to something else.

BUT!!
The version that is installed last becomes your default.
By default I don't mean just a shortcut. All the files associated with Producer, will be opened by the version that was installed last.
Default means that all the files with the extension psh, for example (your shows), will be opened by the version that you installed last.

So, it's up to you actually, what version you install last, and will become default.

Postby weebolddavy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:33 am

Yes Mona it's the opposite of what you described!! So basically if I've got this correct, if I want version 4.5 to be my default. I will need to install version 6 which will overwrite version 4.5 which is my present default and give it a path named version 6 ....... THEN install version 4.5 and ensure I give it its own path named 4.5 which will then become my default! :?

I think I'll leave that until tomorrow when I have more time.

I appreciate your help Mona. :D

Many thanks.

Davy

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:13 am

I hope that what you wrote is what I wrote :D :D :D

To put it very briefly: You can have more than one version of the program, as long as each version is installed in a different path.
The one installed last will become your default.

Good Luck !

Postby im42n8 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:45 am

Install v4.5. Instead of accepting the default directory, give it a dir name of its own. Then, install v6. I'd give it a dir name of its own too. Since it was installed last it will be the default version that's run when you double-click on a PSH file. Now, you have different ProShow programs on the computer without being conflicted with. Looking at the installation folder to will know what version was installed if you used the version name as part of the directory name such as:

Program Files\Photodex\Producer\PSP4.5

You can run the uninstall file located on any of the other installations. Note that before you run the uninstall, you can copy the proshow .phd and .cfg files from that folder to the new one. Use v6 to v6 or v4.5 to v4.5.

It doesn't have to complicated. Just keep it simple. Just add the program ver number to the default directory provided by ProShow during installation. I have multiple versions installed on my computer, Gold and Producer.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:25 am

Note if you save a show in version 6, it cannot be opened in version 4.5, but will work the other way round.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby weebolddavy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been hard at work today getting my head around Version 6 and it's starting to make a bit of sense to me at last. :D I think it just scared me first time I opened it and thought 'What the heck is this!!!' :oops:
A long way to go until I'm as confident as I am with version 4.5 though.

Thanks once more

Kind Regards
Davy :D

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting