PSP constantly locks up

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

PSP constantly locks up

Postby jaywils » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:05 am

I am running the latest version (6.9.3410) and am working on 50+ show of stills, mostly videos, and 2 audio tracks. The running time is about 6 minutes. I am finding that it is constantly freezing, requiring a closing and re-opening of the program. Then it works for a while, then freezes again :(

I have tried restarting the pc, minimizing other programs. I have 16 GB of ram, Win 7.

it could be a "bad" slide but before I go that laborious route I thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas.

Jay

Re: PSP constantly locks up

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:35 am

The problem can be any one of a number of things. Too, you might have to problem today but not tomorrow. If you've deleted the PXC file for the show (the cache file) and the problem persists then the PXC isn't corrupted. Next, delete the Proshow database file ... the proshow.phd file (located in the root installation folder). If the program STILL crashes then, you might want to troubleshoot the show itself to narrow down the problem to one of more slides.

There are multiple approaches to this. But, You can save the show to another name ... and then start deleting slides and see what happens. Then, if the show doesn't crash, start adding them back in (slowly ... one or two or 3 slides at a time). That "might" identify one or more slides. If so, then you can see if it's an effect or if it's the actual content (a video that has problems might be using resources and not releasing them ... finding that video can help you. Because, if it is a video, you might try to 'correct' it by converting it to a different format).

You could be running into a memory problem or a resources problem or both. It could be a corrupted effect or a problematic video. Until you find the source, it's kind of hard to identify what the fix may be (as there are a number of options available ... but each "solution" depends upon the actual problem).

Once you narrow down the problem ... a fix might present itself. Until then, it's simply a shot in the dark. But, start with the PXC (it's doubtful that is the problem tho ... still, it's a simple test since it's regenerated by the program if it's missing. Same with the PHD file ...).

Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: PSP constantly locks up

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:43 pm

In addition to performing the clearing of files that was mentioned, while you're editing, consider practicing the following to avoid losing a lot of work when the program freezes/crashes.

1. Hit the save button frequently.

2. Be proactive in noticing when the program starts to bog down during editing. When that happens, save the show again, close the show and close the program before resuming further editing of that show. This seems to work well for me. Once the program slows down, it seems there is no getting the speed back unless those files are cleared and everything is saved, closed and the program is reopened.

Video clips seem to require more machine resources to work with than still images.

Good luck.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting