Black Bars Surround HD Videos

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Black Bars Surround HD Videos

Postby flhsteve » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:04 am

Hi all,

I have found that the smoothest playback on my PC laptop comes from video output rather than EXE. I have tested the various video encoding formats and the best for quality and smoothness is 1080p or 720p HD. However these videos won't scale to fullscreen and always have fat black bars all around them - maybe half of the screen area in total. I have tried them with WMP, VLC and XnView and the result is always the same. The bars totally surround the show so this is not an aspect ratio issue. I have tried every player and video driver setting on the laptop without success.

By contrast the next-best result is from a custom MP4 which does not suffer this problem and will scale to fullscreen in all players.

I should add that this occurs on the external monitor connected to laptop - not on the laptop screen itself. The monitor has a larger pixel dimensions than the laptop screen but smaller than the 1080p native resolution.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Cheers, Steve.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting