Direct upload to Vimeo

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Direct upload to Vimeo

Postby decaf4me » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:56 pm

What is the recommended setting for direct upload to Vimeo? I would like 1080p HD, but tried a file that I had saved as an AVI to my computer and it takes FOREVER to upload, due to size I guess. A 10 minute vid crashed after more than an hour. Also wondering if HD even works with Vimeo. I read somewhere that Vimeo doesn't guarantee HD - if there's high traffic, they reserve the right to compress or 'stop down' the pipeline. Not sure how this affects an HD rendered/uploaded video. Please advise on which setting to use within Proshow's direct upload feature.

Valued Member

Re: Direct upload to Vimeo

Postby Luke_Miller » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:46 am

If you go to the Vimeo site you can find the recommended settings to use for the files you plan to upload. I use 720 rather than 1080 and do not upload directly out of Producer. I create the file and then use the Vimeo upload utility.

Valued Member

Postby decaf4me » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks for your reply, Luke. I am assuming that 720p HD standard or best is considered a good middle choice for most current viewers - even if they don't have hi def capability. But I'm also wondering if most people currently viewing Vimeo videos are not viewing them at full screen, so hi def and better quality is not necessary. Why don't you upload directly out of Producer?

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:28 am

decaf4me wrote:Thanks for your reply, Luke. I am assuming that 720p HD standard or best is considered a good middle choice for most current viewers - even if they don't have hi def capability. But I'm also wondering if most people currently viewing Vimeo videos are not viewing them at full screen, so hi def and better quality is not necessary. Why don't you upload directly out of Producer?

I don't know about others but once I click on a video, I set it to view full screen hoping for best viewing experience. It's not fun to view shows below 720p because of the pixelation.

Uploading directly via Producer does not seem to work as well compared to rendering the output first, then going to the website to upload there. Though I do not use Vimeo, I do use YouTube though, upload there, not via ProShow. Having done this for a number of years that way, it's worked about 99% of the time with no problems. Many people here have reported difficulties doing uploading via ProShow. Since this works better I figure why bother doing it through ProShow so as to avoid issues.

Sometimes log-in issues prevent uploading via ProShow. It's not the program's fault. If all log-ins are not matching between ProShow preferences and video website. The browser needs to be signed in at the website already with same profile info/pswd, etc too.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby decaf4me » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks for your reply, Debbie. I agree about the pixelation at full screen. Vimeo and Photodex gave me custom parameters a couple of years ago which produce an MP4 file. I then use Vimeo's upload.
These settings are as follows:
Publish/For computers/Custom Video File
Type - Custom
Format - MPEG4AVC with audio
Compression - Video for 5M Broadband
Resolution - 640 x 360
Frame rate - 30
Aspect ratio - 16:9
Encoding - normal
Antiflicker - on

With the above settings, I notice that my uploaded videos are not sharp when viewed at full screen, i.e. the following video:
https://vimeo.com/97567005

I had not noticed until recently that Proshow V6 has a Vimeo setting with 6 choices (Publish/Publish Show/Vimeo): Standard Definition Normal, Standard Definition Best, 720p HD Normal, 720p HD Best, 1080p HD Normal, and 1080p HD Best. When I am on the selection screen and choose "Output to a file on my computer", it creates an AVI file, not an MP4 file. Is this how I should prepare a video for uploading via Vimeo? Or should I just continue using the custom file output settings? How do I specify 720p HD in the custom file settings?

Postby debngar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:33 pm

I can't say exactly because I don't use Vimeo. But it wouldn't hurt to try output to Vimeo 720p best, save to computer then upload at the Vimeo site to see how it looks. That would be similar to how I use YouTube for upload except I output to the best quality HD 1080p.

Looks like someone else has better info related to Vimeo uploads here in this thread though:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23065
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting