Video Clip Limits?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Video Clip Limits?

Postby decaf4me » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Is there a limit on video clips or lengths of video clips used in Proshow? I am creating a show with stills and video clips that will total between 10 and 12 minutes when the show is done. Right now I am at 9 minutes. There are 4 songs, still shots, and video clips throughout the video. The show plays fine until about the 8 minute spot... then the video clips are choppy. This last one minute segment is made up of vid clips that are sped up 200%. A trial show using only these vid clips at 200% (separate from the main show) played fine, so I thought it would be ok to do this in the main show. When I first added them to the show, they played fine. Then I made some additions of some stills before the vid clips and changed some slide timings. After I did this, the sped up clips no longer played smoothly. (not sure if this is related to the additions mentioned) A couple more pieces of info: most of the vid clips in question are trimmed, all are set to play for slide time length, and they have mostly cuts with 0 sec transitions. So far the show is 99 total slides.

Can anybody offer suggestions on why these last video clips aren't playing properly?

Re: Video Clip Limits?

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Not sure just what you are running into, but a couple of things are not clear that can determine some of the issues. You indicate the clips are "trimmed" - trimmed in Producer or in an actual video editor? The difference is that Producer does not actually trim the video clip - it simply sets start/end pointers for the video file. It is also not clear if you are seeing this problem on the computer or on a DVD you have created. One of the most common causes of "jerkey" is the player can't get the data from the disk fast enough and it starts dropping frames. If you are seeing this on preview on the computer, remember that the preview (or a shared show on the sharing site) is made up of the parts of the show being played together using the information in the .psh file - this means if you have any sort of overlay on the video for example (or zoomed etc.) the processor is having to process that on the fly and it may not be able to keep up. Once you render to a video format (say mp4 etc.) then that becomes a non-issue because the processor converted that to a stable single video file instead of having to do multiple things to it during playback.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Re: Video Clip Limits?

Postby decaf4me » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks, Mikey - I was wondering the same thing. The file is being played from a desktop computer/hard drive, not a DVD. I'm going to create a video file from this and see if things get straightened out in the final render. (And no - I didn't trim in a video editor. I used Proshow's trimmer and lopped off 3 to 4 seconds - sometimes more- of each video.) To compound the problem, I have also been having issues with slow internet I/O and buffering of you tube videos today, so at first I wasn't sure if the problems were independent of each other. But the Proshow show is definitely smoother at the beginning than in the second half where the higher speed vid clips are, so I will render to an AVI and see what happens.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting