Colors in PSP don't render properly

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Colors in PSP don't render properly

Postby FrankJ » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 pm

When I open photos in PSP (version 6.0.3397), the colors are way off from what they were when I finished working on the photos in LR and PS. I read the "Color shift from LR/PS" thread from last August (which described the issue I'm having), and found what I thought were solutions to my problem, but none of the suggestions worked. The photos look fine when I'm working on or previewing a show as long as I have the Color Profiles box checked (the one under Preferences/Playback/Miscellaneous Playback Options)... if it's not checked, yuck! The problem comes when I actually create a program... the finished product has the same color cast as when the Color Profiles box is not checked. This is true for both Executables and DVDs played on two different computers. All of my photos are 8 bit sRGB jpgs (I tried using RAW files as well, but this made no difference). The default color profile of my monitor is identical to the color profile of my photos. Changing the color profile settings in the Publishing menus hasn't made a difference. Does anybody have any suggestions? The only workaround I know of is to use the Hue and Saturation sliders in the Adjustments window of PSP, but the results are only okay. Please help... I don't want to have to buy new slide show software, but I need something that won't ruin my photos! Thank you!

Re: Colors in PSP don't render properly

Postby debngar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:45 am

I can't say for sure if I have the right answer for you. But I wouldn't ever use RAW photos in a show as they need to be
post-processed first.

That said, use something like an exported jpg with sRGB for pictures for the show and matching settings for ProShow. I've never changed the default color settings in ProShow as I think they are sRGB. I haven't made a show in over a year or so but always had success doing it this way.

It sounds like you're doing the same thing but I'm not sure as there could be something checked differently I'm not aware of in your settings.

Edited to add:
I use LR for post processing my DSLR images and export full sized jpgs in sRGB for use in my shows. (Images were usually captured in RAW initially, then exported.)
Last edited by debngar on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:54 am

8-bit sRGB? I don't think so ... if so, you've essentially got only 256 colors to work with ... and it will be small wonder your images look bad. RAW is NEVER going to work ... PSP is NOT a RAW viewer/processor. If you exported from LR, then the images are 24-bit color, at the very least. Go back and check your LR preferences. That 8-bit notice you're seeing is 8-bit per channel. Make sure that your export is in sRGB for the photos you're using for ProShow (which is an sRGB program).

I don't see an option in LR for exporting to 8-bit JPGs ... you can do that in PS tho. If you're exporting an adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB, the colors shouldn't be far off ... just sorta washed out. So, if your'e seeing significant shifts in color, there might be some other problem going on (or something that exacerbates it). Your video drivers are up-to-date I take it?

It's "possible" that the proShow configuration file got corrupted, but that'd be unusual. Still, you might try deleting the proshow.CFG file and seeing it that might make a difference.

PSP doesn't change the colors of your images ... it reads what it sees unless those colors are over-ridden by that Color Profile selection.

Beyond that ... I haven't a clue what the heck would be causing a significant color shift... or why the selection of a color profile would be reverse for a video output vs the display itself.

I doubt your photos are ruined ... I don't think PSP has the ability to make any permanent changes to images (everything it does is non-destructive ... it doesn't ever modifier a resource).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby FrankJ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I checked to make sure the photos I'm using are jpg with sRGB and they are. Thought maybe the sRGB check box in the Save As jpg dialog window of PS wasn't checked, but it was. The final step in my workflow is to save my photos as jpgs in PS. I'm assuming that with the sRGB check box checked, the saved image has the sRGB profile embedded in it. Is that correct?

If I delete the proshow.CFG file, will that impact the software at all? Anything I need to do after I delete it?

Thanks so much!

Oh, and bad communication on my part... I didn't mean that PSP would ruin my photos, only that they won't look good enough to do a slide show with.

Postby im42n8 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Upon deleting the proshow.cfg file, ProShow will recreate it (you should delete it while the program is not running ... it's written to often ... and so will be locked from deletion) when the program is re-opened. The same thing goes for the proshow.phd. Delete the CFG file first and see if there are any improvements. If not, try deleting the PHD file (it's the programs "database" file).

If that doesn't fix it ... I'd say your next step is to call Photodex and ask them. What you're experiencing is not normal. Deleting one or both of these files (the PHD and CFG) should fix a vast majority of the odd problems that occur with PSP. You "could" also reinstall the program over the current installation (to fix any other corruptions to files that might have occurred during or after the previous installation .... if you do... ENSURE that the anti-virus program is OFF when you do it).

Ok. after all that, GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting