ProShow crash after start

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

ProShow crash after start

Postby rod » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:40 am

Hello, my ProshowProducer (3410) crashes direct after start.

I de- and reinstalled it two times without success. When I start the program, I can see the main window but i can't change anything, because the program immediately stopps working

I deinstalled version 3410 and installed an older version 3392. But the same problem. Now I'm in a loop: Deinstallation - installation - crash after start - deinstallation ... etc.

Observatiion: Short bevor the trouble start, the program pointed in the Folder List to an folder with a lot of pictures. The program seem to have trouble reading all the pictures.

Is there a protected mode to start Producer? Can I change starting parameters? Any ideas? I urgently need the program.

Best wishes, Rod

Re: ProShow crash after start

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:23 am

I don't exactly understand your description (the fact I am not completely awake may have something to do with that :twisted: ). When you start Producer, it should start without trying to open a show (it should give you the option of opening a recent show from the "New Slide Show" dialog, but you don't have to accept any of those - you can also select "new blank show" or simply click the "X" in the upper right corner of the dialog to exit the dialog. Can you do that and start a new show or does that crash too ? One thing you can try is to delete the phd and cfg files (they are the config. and database files for Proshow and will be recreated with the defaults if they are deleted). They are in the program folder which on my machine (win 7/64) is C:\Program Files (x86)\Photodex\ProShow Producer - the two files are proshow.cfg and proshow.phd (it is the same directory as the .exe file). Delete those two files then start Proshow. Another file that can get corrupted is the pxc file for the show - same directory as the show you are working on, there will be a file by the same name as the show except will end in .pxc - you will have myshow.psh (your actual show file) and myshow.pxc - delete the .pxc file for the show and see if that solves it. The .pxc file is a sort of cache/temp render file that Proshow uses to keep partially rendered things used in the show all in one file for it's use. Periodically, that file gets corrupted and the pointers into what it wants are not valid causing crashing any time you try to load that show. Deleting that file then starting Proshow will force it to re-create that file again. See if any of that helps - let us know (as well as what OS version you are using).

Couple of other things that come to mind - some people have had issues installing Proshow if they don't disable their antivirus first. Have you updated/changed any of your hardware/drivers recently (like for the video card)? Start simple - open Proshow and create a simple blank show then add a couple of images. If you can do that, then we are probably looking at corruption in something to do with your show. If not, then we are looking at Producer itself having issues. Give that a shot, I'll make coffee and go from there :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:44 am

Mikey,
gpsmikey wrote:I don't exactly understand your description (the fact I am not completely awake may have something to do with that :twisted: ). When you start Producer, it should start without trying to open a show ...
mikey

I think that he's saying that Producer is stuck in the folder of images that is shown as thumbnails. (not an existing show, but an existing FOLDER), that has too many pictures.

What I don't understand is how it is possible to uninstall and reinstall the program, and still be left with the last opened folder. Unless the last opened folder is also Producer's default, which is normally in My Documents (or similar, don't quite remember).

It is true that the last opened image folder can create a crash. It happened to me too, when I renamed a folder, and Producer was stuck on something that didn't exist anymore.
The solution was, to delete the files proshow.cfg and proshow.phd located in the program's directory.
But, again, if one uninstalls and reinstalls the program, these files should be deleted anyway.

Postby rod » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:35 am

I don't exactly understand your description (the fact I am not completely awake may have something to do with that :twisted:

I guess, it's my poor english, sorry. :?

The solution - you both suggested: I deleted all proshow.cfg and proshow.phd files and the program works again. :D

The problem: The program starts and crashed immediately. I had no chance to do anything.

Mona and mickey, thank you very much for your help. :D :!:

Best wishes, Uli

PS:
What I don't understand is how it is possible to uninstall and reinstall the program, and still be left with the last opened folder.

That was a mystery for me to. It was not the default folder. Anyway, the program works again :)

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:47 pm

The important thing is all is well again. Glad you got it fixed.

Mona - I was not aware of that (never had that happen to me). Interesting.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby marion » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:01 pm

The trial version 7 worked fine until i registared...but after that it will not open anylonger. I get just a white window and a message "not working anymore".
Ive tried removing cfg and phd from the directory but that didnt help, still crashes at start.
Has anyone more ideas to get it working again?
Marion :cry:

Postby cherub » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:12 pm

marion wrote:The trial version 7 worked fine until i registared...but after that it will not open anylonger. I get just a white window and a message "not working anymore".
Ive tried removing cfg and phd from the directory but that didnt help, still crashes at start.
Has anyone more ideas to get it working again?
Marion :cry:

Not sure of what could be causing this, but just an idea:
ProShow 7 requires internet access because of the music library.
Maybe something is blocking this access. Your firewall, or some other security program.

Postby marion » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Mona. I had tried the solutions with cfg and phd,reinstall without firewall, everything but nothing helpt. As i was desperate because im trying to fix this for 3 days now i tried Revo uninstall and euraka.....it seems to be working again. I lost a few things like my templates and stuff, but ive started up the programm 4 times now without any difficulty. So lets hope it stays that way!
Marion :D

Postby cherub » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 pm

I've heard of Revo Unistall, but I've never used it. I think that it uninstalls a program and it also removes the registry entries.
Anyway, I'm glad that you solved the problem on your own.

Postby marion » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:36 pm

yes it does remove the registry of the programm. Im so happy its finally working again!

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:39 am

I sat up and took notice, having never heard of Revo. Since it's bothered me forever that, after uninstalling software, I have to remember to go on a major search for the garbage files, folders, and registry entries left behind, this was wonderful news. Why Windows can't accomplish a clean uninstall is beyond me, but anyway, I looked at Revo along with comparable programs, and what I found was IObit Uninstaller. Its reviews are top-notch, and it's free, so I just now downloaded it and will be testing it when getting rid of silly programs on my computer. I can't even remember why I installed them in the first place.

Thank you so much for mentioning the very existence of such software!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby marion » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:47 am

Youre welcome Barbara! :) I have used revo for years and its free as well, up till now im very satisfied with it. Specially now that prodecer is working again, days ive been searching,reading and trying...de-and re-installing but nothing worked. Now ive been working with it all morning without any problems. Ive closed it several times in between just to see if it would start up again and hurrah....it did.

So i hope your new unintaller works just as easy and well!
Marion

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:13 am

Marion, I couldn't resist, and so I've already used IObit Uninstaller on several silly programs plus one very major program I didn't even know was still there. IObit worked perfectly, finding every last little piece of garbage, which is something I often didn't do that well on my own. I assume Revo performs the same service of creating a restore point if uninstalling a specific program is a concern.

I am SO happy! I wish we had a little smilie that jumps up and down. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting