Stuttering show playback

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Honorary ProShow PHD

Stuttering show playback

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 pm

I am using Proshow producer 5.0.3222 and have noticed that my recent slideshows play back with a very choppy or jittery motion. Instead of smooth movement the pictures "jitter" as they move accross the screen. I have re-installed Proshow Producer and re-installed Presenter hoping this would help, but so far I haven't found a solution.

Here's a recent show I uploaded to Youtube as an example:

My Windows 7 computers are up to date and am wondering if anyone els has experienced this same problem?

Re: Stuttering show playback

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I watched the first 6 minutes of the youtube version and it looked fine although I did notice some jitter on the faster pans. It is not clear where you are having the issue - the youtube version has been rendered to a video format. But, you also mention presenter - presenter is used to play back the proprietary format of the .px files that you would create and upload to the Photodex sharing site - those are an entirely different animal - the px file basically has all the chunks of the show in one large file and presenter processes them "on the fly" so you can get entirely different results with a rendered video format over what you see with something you view with presenter. For what it's worth, an .exe file is basically an executable with presenter and the px file combined (at least that is the way I understand it). The .exe and .px files (viewed with presenter) are likely to show up as you describe if there are limitations on the graphics or disk throughput while shows that have been rendered take all of the "processing" out of the viewing and simply have one video stream.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Mikey . . . Thank you for your prompt and in-depth reply.

Both Presenter playback and .EXE playback are jittery which means that anything I render as a video file suffers the same type of "jitter".

I am really puzzeled because I didn't have this problem before upgrading my computers from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I think I will check my video driver next to make sure it is up-to-date ;-)

Dan

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:16 am

Actually, that is not a valid statement - the exe and presenter share a common thread, but that does NOT mean when you render to video, it will act the same. I am not surprised the exe and presenter versions act the same since the exe is basically the presenter version in an executable wrapper from my understanding - both of them still have to deal with multiple layers etc. during playback. The video version on the other hand only has one stream to deal with - all the layers/motion/text etc. have been "rendered" into one stream and as such, complex scenes are no longer "complex" but are just a single video. Now, that said, the video data rate can change where there is more motion - does it act the same if you render to mp2 and mp4? (I have not had my coffee yet, so brain is not fully engaged yet .. :D Try rendering to an mp4 for example and then try playing that on a different computer - see if it acts the same.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:40 am

Hi Dan,
I think for me, horizontal panning motion has always displayed more stutter than other actions. But maybe it's just my computer.

That said, you were somewhat in my old stomping ground as I grew up near Carmichael and only recently moved up I80 to the foothills. Yosemite is one of my favorite places to visit. Looks like you all had a great time together!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:20 am

Mikey . . . I will try and re-render this show as an MP2 & Mp4 when I have a chance and see if the stuttering playback is still evident.

Debbie . . . We did have a great time in Yosemite and I plan on going back to Carmichael the first week of December to watch my son run in a full-length marathon. He says the route goes right past their house on Fair Oaks Boulevard and he wants me to document the event. It should be fun and maybe another opportunity for a slideshow :-)

Dan

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:57 pm

UPDATE . . . I created an MPEG4 file in both standard and high definition and they both play smoothly. I wasn't able to output my slideshow as an MGEG2 even though the custom show output had that option listed, I don't know why. I also found my NVIDIA Geforce GX-285 video card driver was out of date so I updated the driver at the same time.

Why the output of this particular show has a "jitter" when I output the show as an ISO and burn using Image Burn or upload the show to YouTube still remains a mystery at this point ;-)

Dan

Postby raydio » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Here's another hint :

If you've cut a DVD in Quicktime and your PC computer selects Windows Media Player to play it (and it will if you don't watch out) the show will play for a few minutes and then the sound will start to sputter, and then go to slow motion and eventually the show will stop.

Play .mov shows in Quicktime only and .wmv shows in Windows Media Player only. (yes they will both start for each format).

Kind of embarrassing when you have a full house watching your show.

RD
God takes you just as you are - but He never leaves you that way.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting