Distorted Shadows on TV

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Distorted Shadows on TV

Postby Diane48 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

I have just made a slideshow of my son's step-daughter's first five years. I made an mp4 file and played it from a portable hard drive on a USB connection to my TV and it plays fine. I then made a DVD of the same show by making an iso file and burning it to the Tai Yuden dvd using imageburn as I always do. I included an Executable of the show on the same DVD. The Executable plays fine...no problems.
However playing the DVD on both the TV and the computer results in hugely distorted shadows. These shadows are random ie not all shadows are distorted and on any particular slide some shadows can be distorted but others not. I thought maybe it was the shadows that I had applied but there are even some slides where I used Mona's slide styles where some layers have enlarged shadows.
I have made a short slide show of the problem using screen captures of the show whilst in Producer and taken photos of the TV whilst it is playing. I also played the dvd on the computer (not the executable file which plays fine) and the distortion is the same as when played on the TV.
I seem to remember having a similar problem many years ago but nothing as bad as this is. I just can't use the show as it is.
I am running Producer 6 build 3410 on Windows 7.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem.

http://www.photodex.com/share/diane48/bdggpmg4

Cheers, Diane

Re: Distorted Shadows on TV

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:36 am

Hi Diane,
The problem is Producer 6 and everything that is rendered to DVD with Producer 6 :cry:
The distortions are not random. They are quite consistent, unfortunately.
Here is what happens: All shadows applied to thin png files, for example frames, get somewhat distorted in any DVD output, while all other outputs are perfect.
In other words, this is a bug in Producer 6.

There are two solutions to this:
1. Don't use shadows created in Producer.
2. Create separate layers for the shadows.
Here is how: Duplicate the layer with the frame. Apply the following adjustments:
White Point: -100
Blur 60-100% - whatever looks good to you
Opacity 60-80 - whatever looks good to you.
Place this shadow layer under the other layers (Your order should be: Frame, Mask, Image, Shadow).

Please email me if you need further help with this.

Postby Diane48 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:15 am

Thank you Mona for your prompt reply. It looks like I have a lot of work to do to make this slide show workable. I will take it slide by slide and include the extra layers. It was so much easier to just apply a shadow rather than creating additional layers. I hope this problem disappears with the next release.
Thank you Mona for the problem solving and the solution as well as all of your wonderful slide styles. Your a treasure on this site.

Cheers, Diane

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:21 am

Diane,
There is of course another solution, if you don't want to work that hard.
Use Producer 5 to render to DVD. :D
Just bear in mind that Producer 5 doesn't "know" what text layers are, so if you have any of those, you would need to replace them with regular captions.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting