Image Borders on Moving Wall (Follow Me concept)

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Image Borders on Moving Wall (Follow Me concept)

Postby RoseW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:46 am

Based on the tutorial 'Follow the Leader"
All images to be used were dragged into the layers list and prepared (zoom reduced to 40%, border 5%)
Configured placement and modifiers as per tutorial.
2.5% or 5% borders do not display whatever colour I use.
The original image full size is 2800x1620 and fit to frame
(40% could mean that the image is now 1130 so I figured 5% would amount to 100 pixels)
The moving wall is a fill frame long (6000 wide) blue sky with clouds view so initially I thought white might be the problem but black does not display either.

Is the percentage amount too small or should I figure 5% of the original image?
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: Image Borders on Moving Wall (Follow Me concept)

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:07 am

The tutorial "Follow the Leader" only works for a subset of a pan following situation ... the one in the tutorial. A much more definitive tutorial on this particular form of pan following is found in this link:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22140

There are two video tutorials on this page. A horizontal carousel is presented where
• The images follow each other across the screen on a static background. A manual method and a modifier-based method are provided. (10 min 52 sec) and
• An additional modifier-based method for images to follow each other across the screen as background image moves in sync with the images. (12 min 39 sec).

These tutorials show you how to definitively get the "pan following" approach working for pretty much any situation. They should answer all of your questions.

In all, I provide over an hour of video tutorials for Pan Following which cover nearly every aspect of how to pan follow. You'd think it's simple ... and pan following is. However, understanding what works and what doesn't (and why), can be important. The "Follow The Leader" tutorial, excellent in its own right, is one such example ... as you've found.

The other tutorials on pan following (and others) can be found here: http://fpvp.wordpress.com/tutorials/

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:36 pm

RE: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22140

"There are two video tutorials on this page. A horizontal carousel is presented where
• The images follow each other across the screen on a static background. A manual method and a modifier-based method are provided. (10 min 52 sec) and
• An additional modifier-based method for images to follow each other across the screen as background image moves in sync with the images. (12 min 39 sec).

These tutorials show you how to definitively get the "pan following" approach working for pretty much any situation. They should answer all of your questions. "

Interesting that you should respond and include the link. I used up most of my morning studying that static background tutorial and transferring the measures to my images.
I have to download tutorial videos since I'm on a satelite and usually video is painful but your buffering routine allowed me to watch, listen and repeat that while taking notes.
I was having about a 50% success rate and couldn't figure out why the last 3 images were butting up against each other. Finally I just got rid of the 'wall' and used a similar image as a background but the result still didn't replicate your example.
Since I had resorted to copying your figures exactly but only with landscape oriented images I had to reduce the % of those last images THEN the images slid across the screen appropriately spaced. JUST NOW I realized your example figures were for portrait images...(duh) I should have just continued the arithmetic pattern of the first bunch rather than replicating your scheme.
Once the basic arithmetic routine is written down this is a straightforward method
Now questions:
Is there a minimum number of images allowed for this routine?
If the zoom is reduced to 40% for all images could more than 6 landscape images be used?
Why does a caption not attach to a specific image? I can create a caption layer for a total title but individual captions on an individual image must require a special routine.
My content was displaying changes in a garden design over a 6 year time frame.
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:08 am

It doesn't matter whether you use wide or tall images ... it's simply a matter of working with the space you have available to you. So, the first thing you want to do is to figure out how much space you have to work with. The width of the graphic relative to the screen width. If you have a background graphic that's a total of 5 times the screen with, you have 500% to work with: 250% on one side, 250% on the other side. Set the image layer to the desired size. This determines the image's width (use Fill Frame for images that have an aspect that is less than the show's aspect). Now, the question is, how many images can you fit in that space? At 40% width images and 10% between your images, that's 5 images to the left and 5 image to the right.

This is you spacing map: 5-40-10-40-10-40-10-40-10-40-5-5-40-10-40-10-40-10-40-10-40-5; 5% on each end, 10% between each image for 10 images x 40%=400, 9 times 10% spaces = 90, and 2 times 5% space = 10. So, the total space used is 400+90+10 = 500%. That's the initial setup design. Now, for placement. We need two images in the screen center. There's 5% to the left of one and 5% to the right of the other, giving us 10% between them at screen center. So, 5% spacing plus half the width of the layer is 25 (the layer is 40% wide). So, the left image is set to pan-x = -25 and the right one is set to pan-x=25. Now, each subsequent image is spaced at 50% distance from it's previous one. So, do the math. Our images are placed in the following times initially.
-225, -175, -125, -75, -25, 25, 75, 125, 175, 225.

The background graphic is 500% of the screen width, 250% on each side. For the first keyframe, we need to move it to -200. This puts the right edge of the graphic on the right edge of the screen (leaving 50% ON the screen.... if we moved it -250, the left edge would be at screen center). The 2nd keyframe is where we want the left edge of the image on the left edge of the screen.

Now to setup for our keyframes. For Keyframe 1, subtract 200 from the initial value. For the last keyframe, keyframe 2, add 200 to the initial value.

So, for kf1: 25, -25, -75, -125, -175, -225, -275, -325, -375, -425 (image 1 to image 10)
And for kf2: 425, 375, 325, 275, 225, 175, 125, 75, 25, -25 (image 1 to image 10)

Now, the images will move with the background across the screen.

Note that this exercise was done assuming no transition time spacing to make things simpler to explain. You will need to compensate by preventing any movement until the slide begins and and to stop the motion just before the transition out starts.

As for captions attaching to an image, review the Pan Following Part 3 tutorial. Captions reference the screen differently than layers do. I think I know why Photodex did that but, it sure confuses the heck out of things. That's why using modifiers, in this case, to link a caption to a particular layer is a good way to go. But, you can use the mathematical method as well, a caption at a time, if modifiers are too confusing to you. Just remember that the center of the caption layer is where the pan values refer to. Just map the screen out in percents to represent the distance. Remember that captions reference the screen from 0 to 100 relative to the left side of the screen and going right.

For the manual method of arranging the captions with image layers.
Captions are arranged initially with the layers (caption 1 to caption 10):
275, 225, 175, 125, 75, 25, -25, -75, -125, -175

Now, subtract 200 from each initial kf value to get the kf1 value:
75, 25, -25, -75, -125, -175, -225, -275, -325, -375

Then add 200 to the initial kf value to get the kf2 value:
475, 425, 375, 325, 275, 225, 175, 125, 75, 25

Using modifiers, there are a couple of methods you can use: reference the background layer pan-x after setting the initial caption location or reference each associated layer (and add a constant 50 pan-x to the caption actions)

Good luck and have fun!

Dale

NOTE: I'm using FILL FRAME scaling on the images because the images are normalized horizontally to the screen, that is the screen width and image width are the same at 100% zoom. That makes calculating horizontal movement and distances much easier.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:35 pm

The background graphic is 500% of the screen width, 250% on each side. For the first keyframe, we need to move it to -200. This puts the right edge of the graphic on the right edge of the screen (leaving 50% ON the screen.... if we moved it -250, the left edge would be at screen center). The 2nd keyframe is where we want the left edge of the image on the left edge of the screen.

The label Screen used in the directions above is referring to the 'Proshow box with the edges", as opposed to MONITOR screen...
Up to now I've never been quite sure where the right edge of the graphic was to be placed on that box...OR...what defined the width of the graphic. This use of % measures is much more distinct than just dragging stuff around.

Thank you very much for the detailed example. I am a 'read the text/manual' learner so this has been an A++ lesson.

I got the 6 landscape orientation garden images all sliding across and then decided I could have the last image pause for a moment before continuing on its way. Inserted another keyframe ( 2 & 3) where it would stop and then continued on to keyframe 4. Now I'll dive into the caption layer construction.

If anyone else is following this thread the 'Follow Me' routine is an ideal structure if presenting a specific topic to an interest group. In my case its to a horticultural group and having the progressive comparison is ideal.
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Yes, the term "screen" was a little loose in the nomenclature relative to what is being referred to. I actually referring to the slide screen or "frame."

Glad it worked for you Rose. Once you learn the concepts, it becomes much easier. A key thing too is to diagram what you're trying to do. It provides the map and helps reduce, if not avoid confusion. :D

You might read the "ProShow Discussion" on my blog. It describes where pan, zoom, and rotate center come from ... it's a perspective that ProShow does not provide. It provides a bit more insight into why ProShow is able to do what it does. I'm sure Photodex didn't think it was important to learning how to use the program. But, insight into things can sometimes be very useful.

Dale

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting