Mute soundtrack during video clip

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Esteemed Member

Mute soundtrack during video clip

Postby ladyt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,
This is my first time working with a video clip of someone talking. I can't seem to follow the Help instructions to get the correct settings to mute the music while the clip is playing. Also, is there any way to boost the volume on the video clip?

Any help you provide is greatly appreciated. (Using PSP 6.0.3410)

Thanks much,
LadyT

Re: Mute soundtrack during video clip

Postby cherub » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:14 pm

To increase the volume of your video clip:
Slide Options > Layer Settings > Video Clip Settings > Volume
Instead of the 100 % that is written there as default, write 120 or whatever sounds good to you.

To mute the main soundtrack during this video clip:

The old method (Producer 5 and 6):
Audio > Manage Soundtrack > Soundtrack during other sounds >
The default is 50. Write 0 (zero) instead.

A new way for Producer 6 only:
In Producer 6 it is possible to use keyframes also for the soundtrack just as for the regular layers. This allows you greater precision on how and when you want to hear each sound.
So, select the slide with the video clip, and go to Slide Options > Effects > Notice the two keyframes, and also the new "Soundtrack" function at the very bottom. The soundtrack is set at a default of 100% for the duration of the entire slide. We are going to change that.
Drag the 1st keyframe to right, to the beginning of the slide (after the transition), for example at 3 sec. Drag the 2nd keyframe to the left, before the transition.
Write 0 (zero) in Soundtrack, for each of these two keyframes.
Now let's insert two new additional keyframes: one at the left end, at the beginning of the slide transition (at 0 sec), and one at the right end, at the end of the slide transition.
Write 100 in Soundtrack for each of these new keyframes.
So, what you have accomplished so far is a natural fade from 100% to 0% and then back to 100% during the slide transitions.

Take a look now in Manage Soundtrack, or in your Slide list/Timeline. Watch the graphic representation. You will be able to actually see how the show soundtrack is being muted.

You may of course change these keyframes to any time you want - you don't have to stick to transitions. But, this is the basic principle.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Member

Postby ladyt » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:46 am

Thanks so much, Mona.

I will give your expert knowledge a try and post back. :D

Postby cherub » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:31 am

Hardly an expert knowledge :D :) :)
I don't work with video all that much, and your question gave me the opportunity to test this new feature of Producer 6.
Seems to me as a pretty handy.
Let me know what you find out.

Esteemed Member

Postby ladyt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Mona,
Steps 1 and 2 in your reply worked beautifully. Because I was in a time crunch to finish this show, I did not try the new Producer 6 method you outlined. But I will. Sometime soon. And post back.
As always, thanks for your quick and knowledgeable help.

Peace and blessing,
Gladys

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting