Images not sharp

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Images not sharp

Postby decaf4me » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 am

I am using Proshow Producer V6. When I preview a show within Proshow, the photos are not sharp. The originals are sharp in Photoshop. Photo resolution is 4896 x 3264. I have reduced some photos to 33 or 45% within a slide. GPU acceleration is not enabled. The default setting for max rendering resolution when GPU not in use is set at the default (setting when I installed Proshow) is 800x600. I'm not sure what this is anyway, but thought it might pertain. Any ideas on why my photos are not sharp?

Valued Member

Re: Images not sharp

Postby decaf4me » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:33 am

I captured an image from the show and compared this file to the slide itself from Proshow. The captured image photos are sharp. So does that mean it's something in the previewing of the show?

Postby tdew » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:27 am

Tina, did you get an answer from support?

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:59 am

The only time I've experienced this was when I used some of the 3D adjustments to correct for perspective distortion. Really softened the images.

Postby cherub » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:49 am

decaf4me wrote:I am using Proshow Producer V6. When I preview a show within Proshow, the photos are not sharp. The originals are sharp in Photoshop. Photo resolution is 4896 x 3264. I have reduced some photos to 33 or 45% within a slide. GPU acceleration is not enabled. The default setting for max rendering resolution when GPU not in use is set at the default (setting when I installed Proshow) is 800x600. I'm not sure what this is anyway, but thought it might pertain. Any ideas on why my photos are not sharp?

ProShow v. 6 (and 5, for that matter) is built to work on strong computers, with strong graphic cards, where GPU Acceleration IS ENABLED.
If by default, on your computer, the GPU acceleration is not enabled, it means that your computer cannot handle it.
The default of such installs, without GPU acceleration, is indeed 800x600 for playback, and this value is way below the resolution of nowadays screens. That is why you see everything blurred. Tilt Effects in some slide styles, will increase the blurriness that you see, even more.

But, just to put your mind to rest, you will not see this blurriness in the final output - for example when you create a DVD or a high definition video.

Valued Member

Postby decaf4me » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Mona,
My desktop computer is less than a year old and has a pretty capable video card with GPU acceleration. I will put a check mark in the GPU box to enable it. What playback resolution should I set for my monitor resolution?

FYI - I created a test MPEG 4 and uploaded it high def to Vimeo. Here is what it looks like:
https://vimeo.com/90403881

Does GPU acceleration come into play with slides that have stationery photos such as this test video? I thought GPU acceleration is used with transitions and styles, but motionless photos wouldn't use it (as in much earlier versions of Proshow before the new video card technology).

~Tina

Postby cherub » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Sorry if you felt offended.
I had no way of knowing that you yourself changed the definitions of the program from GPU Acceleration Enable to Not Enabled.

Please leave the program at its defaults. It will determine your screen resolution automatically, by the size of your monitor.

The Vimeo test video that you have uploaded doesn't mean much, unless you tell us what resolution of output you have chosen.
Notice that if you drop down the menu for Vimeo output, there are several options to choose from.

Valued Member

Postby decaf4me » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:14 pm

I must have been unclear in my posting - I am definitely not offended! I am happy to report that upon enabling GPU, the photos became clear! Proshow had not previously automatically recognized my system hardware, so apparently did not automatically enact GPU acceleration, so I check marked the box to enable. Thanks for your reply, Mona.

Postby cherub » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear it.
But, unfortunately that's not how things work. :(
ProShow should install AUTOMATICALLY with GPU Acceleration Enabled, if things work correctly.
If by default it installed with GPU Acceleration Not Enabled, then something is not working properly.
Changing the settings manually will only solve the problem in an artificial way, and you may experience a slowing down of the program that shouldn't be there. You will notice this if you do apply styles and transitions in your show.
Please contact Photodex support. They can troubleshoot you much better than us here.

BTW, what is the GPU Benchmark that ProShow reports?
You can find this information in Help > About ProShow

Valued Member

Postby decaf4me » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:23 am

Wow! I had no idea about this GPU acceleration stuff. The benchmark says 22. I will call Photodex support to make sure I have all of this set up correctly. Thank you so much, Mona!

Postby cherub » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 am

This is a very low number, and your computer cannot work with GPU Enabled.
Yes, do call Photodex, if you think that you have a good computer and ProShow is not identifying your hardware correctly.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 am

Yeah, Mona is correct. I think most of us seem to be somewhere around 100-150 for their benchmark (although we have never been able to find out exactly how that is calculated). 22 is quite low - it will be interesting to see if Photodex can identify the issue for you (mine shows a benchmark of 170 running win7/74 with a decent Radeon video card, but by no means one of the expensive ones - you can really go crazy with the price of some of those "gamer" video cards) - I just have the HD6850.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby mar13 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:30 pm

cherub wrote:
BTW, what is the GPU Benchmark that ProShow reports?
You can find this information in Help > About ProShow

Hi!
my GPU Benchmark is only 25 (good laptop with i5)
Exe show made with ProShow 4.0 run in HD sharp but on ProShow 6.0 I see pixels:-(
When I use preview show (full HD monitor) images are sharp but from exe show there are a lot of pixels...
Is possible to change sth in settings or I should buy new computer?

thank you for help
Mariusz

Postby im42n8 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:21 pm

As for the low res images that you see during play or scrub, ProShow is probably using a low res version of the images. You should see sharp images, however, in a video that you've exported. ProShow will use the full res image for that output. It's a "feature" of ProShow to reduce the computational demands on the computer during the play/scrub phase (trying to make things run more smoothly than when the higher res information is used -- and those images required a bunch of data processing).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby PhotoMill » Sat May 31, 2014 6:17 pm

Hello Tina,

I clicked on your link to the show that you refer to but am getting a "password required" message. Has access to the show been restricted by chance ?

Tks...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting