PSP "Not Responding" and similar

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

PSP "Not Responding" and similar

Postby PhotoPhil » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Hello
I am hoping that you can give me some guidance on where I should look to attempt to have a stable operation of Producer. I have found that the system has been "flakey" for some time (not jest with my present PC or Windows version). I decided a number of times to leave Producer and use other software for my shows, but because I want to use PSP I keep coming back and trying it.

My main 2 problems this time around are
(a) the program keeps becoming "Not Responding" and closes down - even during simple operations and no specific operations
(b) when I use the player it plays OK but when I stop it, it will not restart (i.e it stays in pause mode until I restart Producer)

I had been finding that I could not get an EXE produced by PSP to run but seem to have solved that by copying an old version of the Presenter folder over the new V6 folder that I had downloaded a few times.

My system is an Intel i7 3.40 GHZ
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K600
Windows 8.1
Producer V6.0.3410 - reinstalled a number of times

I accept that the main problems must be some relationship with my PC set-up because I suspect that if it was entirely a PSP problem none of you would be using the product. However I do not have any vaguely similar problems with other software.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted as I would like to again make PSP my program of choice because I have been using it for may years.

I did write to Photodex but did not receive a reply.

Thanks....Phil

Re: PSP "Not Responding" and similar

Postby CharlesPearson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:02 am

Phil

Do you have similar problems on other software or is it just Pro Show?

If it is just Pro Show the obvious thing to try is a reinstall and if you have an older version see what happens if you download a trial version of the new editions.

Can't offer any more at present
Charles
My internet was down today so I had to spend time with my family. They seem like decent people!

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:02 am

In general, I have found Proshow to be fairly stable, however a couple of things come to mind in your case that are worth checking out. I would start by contacting Photodex again - they are usually pretty responsive. I don't have any experience with Win 8.1 - I have win7/64 currently with no major issues. You indicated you have not seen stability issues with other apps, but didn't say what the other ones were - video related apps seem to be more likely to find "issues" in your system. One of the common points is with either the graphics or sound drivers.Video editors and things like Proshow tend to find any graphics driver related issues more frequently. See if you can create a simple little test show of some sort that causes the problem most often then see if you can figure out what part of that is most prone to crashing it. Random problems are really tough to troubleshoot, but if you can create a small test show of some sort that will repeatedly cause the problem, Photodex is usually pretty interested in seeing if they can re-create (and solve) the problem. Those are the best ideas I can come up with right now (I have not had my morning coffee yet :evil: ) The trick with any troubleshooting is to see if you can narrow it down to something that can repeatedly cause the problem.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am

A couple of thoughts:

If by re-install you installed on top of the existing installation you might try doing an uninstall using the Windows Control Panel first.

Make sure you have the latest version of your graphics drivers.

Try the Photodex support via telephone. I've found the support personnel to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:13 am

I was going to suggest phone support, but he is in Australia although perhaps a skype call in the middle of the night for him could work? Worth checking out.
I agree with Luke - try completely uninstalling it then doing a re-install and see if that helps.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby debngar » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 am

In addition to the tips others shared:

Check your anti-virus and firewall software to make sure ALL .exe programs that appear in the Photodex program folder are allowed. There are at least 10 of them that I know of in version 6.

That said, it's best to turn off anti-virus and firewall software while installing. After installing, reboot and open ProShow. THEN turn the AV and firewall back on AFTER opening the program the first time since the reinstall. Photodex has recommended that procedure for a long time. When I do that, it's always worked for me.

Only have one AV software installed and running. Having more than one is not recommended as it can cause problems. Sometimes additional AV programs are inadvertently installed via freebies or other software. It's usually required to option OUT of those installations. The little tick box can be easy to miss and more than one AV program can get installed.

If it's an AV problem, fix that, then reinstall with it turned off. See how it goes after you reboot and reopen the program again and turn on the AV.

Hit the save button frequently during editing so you don't lose your work. During editing, if you notice the program bogging down, hit save one more time and exit the program. This seems to reset the memory and reopening afresh usually works. But if it's still crashing, then delete the proshow.phd and proshow.cfg files that reside in the ProShow program folder. Once you reopen, it should work ok again.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:37 am

As others have said, turn OFF your anti-virus software before installing. DO NOT reinstall over an older or previous installation: chose a new folder (say, one with the same name as before but with the version number included in the folder name... for instance). To find the disk drives, ProShow wants you to reboot. I've found that this is a good idea for reasons other than finding the drives. Your AV will be re-activated upon reboot.

Sometimes, installing over a previous installation simply isn't going to work ... and the reasons are never clear. You also might want to run chkdsk on your drive, just to see if there are any problems with the hard drive clusters. Win7 should fix things as a normal course of business but it isn't perfect. You'll probably have to run it in administrator mode too. You don't have to run it to fix anything the first time around ... just see if there are problems. If so, then run it to fix things (chkdsk/? will give you the options. chkdsk/r is probably will be what you want. Use the switch "/V" if you want to see messages as it progresses).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby PhotoPhil » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for your replies and advice. I appreciate it!
I thought that I had tried most, but not all, your suggestions but will start again and incorporate them all in the installation. I will reinstall on a new drive and let you know the outcome.
Thanks, again

Phil

Postby PhotoPhil » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi

I followed your advices and suggestion when I reinstalled PSP on a different drive.
Since then the program has been quite stable - the best it has been for a very long time! So I am just taking it easy, saving often and not doing anything too complicated. So far, so good.

I still cannot get the EXE output to work. It shows "not responding" during the creation, tells me that it is finished, but when I try to run it just starts the process but does not open. It just leaves the process open on the Task Manager. Never mind, this is some conflict on my pc and is not critical at this stage. I will solve it later.

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

Phil

Postby Solitude » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:27 am

Newbie here to Proshow Enthusiasts, so I hope I am not overstepping by replying to this post. I had this happen quite often until I checked my video memory. After adding dedicated video graphics, I no longer experience Proshow Producer non-responsive or unexpected closing.

Postby flymfly » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I found my way to this post for the exact same reasons.

THE SUGGESTION TO TURN OFF FIREWALL AND ANTI-VIRUS PROTECTION WORKS!!! (at least for me)

It was a quick and easy fix to a frustrating problem. Thanks!!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:01 pm

All related tidbits are always welcome - hopefully, they will provide the missing piece of the puzzle for someone else that has the same problem. I never turn off my antivirus when installing, but I have heard of quite a few people that have had issues when installing with their antivirus running.

mikey

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting