Folder for backups while creating

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Folder for backups while creating

Postby RoseW » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 pm

There is a thread somewhere in these forum lists where the person who creates many styles etc mentioned she created her own folder which received the ongoing bak files.
I had that happening in Gold but I put that saving folder as a subfolder in the specific show but I don't see a configuration choice in the preferences to designate the backup folder location within Producer.
I have a SAVES folder within the specific show folder as a subfolder but I could only see one file in there over the past 2 days .
No bak files were showing up in there and the autosave.psh is listed as an alternate source choice in that start up menu.
Because no list of files were in that Saves folder I kept manually clicking on the SAVE; occasionally a pop up message requested confirmation for overwriting.

NOW today (after I have typed this and preparing to ask where everything is stored)
.....3 days later those bak files are showing up in the specific show folder structure when I view with Windows explorer (Producer is open).

Perhaps V6 was slow on getting all its parts and pieces into action.
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: Folder for backups while creating

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi Rose,
I haven't noticed any difference in the way backups are created. ProShow 6 behaves quite the same as previous versions.
Take a look in Edit > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Autosave & Backups
The default is "Autosaves shows every 300 sec"
and "Backup 10 versions of the show"
If this is not enough for you, you can change the numbers.

This means, that on a normal basis, you should see up to 10 backups of your show, at any given time.
The backups are named with the same name that you gave to your show, but they don't have the extension psh. They have different extensions.
The most recent backup has the extension .bak (for example: yourshowname.bak)
Older backups have the extensions yourshowname.b01, yourshowname.b02, up to number b09.
Of course, b01 is the the newest (after bak), and b09 is the oldest.

All these files are created automatically in the same folder that you save your show.
There is no folder named "saves".
So if you create a folder for everything to do with one show, that's where you should also see the backups.
Also, there is no way to force the program to save backups in a folder other than the one for your show.

Of course, you can create backup copies of your own, for your own purposes, and you can give all sorts of names to these additional copies.
For example if you want to try out some special effect in your show and to see how it would work.
In such a case, you would want to save a copy of your original show, as well as a copy of the new version, with that special effect.
But, these are not really "backups". They are just copies of your show. These additional copies should have different names than your original show, and they would have backups of their own, again with the extensions .bak, and .b01 to .b09

For short, you should see something like this on your computer:
MyShow (the name that you gave).psh
MyShow.bak
MyShow.b01
MyShow.b02....

and
MyShow Special Effect.psh
MyShow Special Effect.bak
MyShow Special Effect.b01....

Hope this information helps.

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:38 am

I created the folder named Saves.
Because I put all the images I am going to use in a Parent folder with the name of the show....or in a subfolder under that Parent folder.
Having the saved show and backups included was to cluttered.
When I was looking in my 'saves' folder and saw nothing I didn't think to look in the main folder for the show.
Things appear to be sorted out at the moment.
BUT
your explanation is precisely laid out and very useful
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:05 am

I'm glad that you found my explanation useful. :D

There is no point in creating a folder with the name "Saves" unless you yourself use that folder to save your shows in it. By itself, the program won't know how to make use of such a folder.
A good organization of folders is the one that Producer uses: Image, Video, Audio. To this, I like to add an additional folder that I name Shows, and that's where I save the shows and their respective backups.

I don't know why you think that saving the backups together with the shows makes it "too cluttered".
You don't really get to see the actual backup files if you open the shows from Producer. You should use: File >Open or Open Recent.
Only the actual shows (with the extension psh) get to be listed there.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting