Program won't even open ...

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Program won't even open ...

Postby Debhamilton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:47 am

I had problems Sunday with a show not loading; I called support - I am using Parallels on a Mac, and Rachel went in and configured my ram, processors, etc. After an hour of all of that, she was able to get the show recovered and loaded - all was fine. I continued to tweak the show - editing a few timings and captions; I don't think I even added any more photos. The entire show is probably 10 mins long - I would guess 40 or 50 slides; 4 songs but just parts of each; in other words, I don't feel the show is large by any means; after repeated restarting my computer and trying to get Proshow to even open, it did once; came up with an error that it was out of memory; it said, with the current show, that it was running out of memory..

I have a total of 12 gb of ram, so Rachel had allotted 6 to Parallels; I have dual quad core processors (8) so Rachel had allotted 4. That all seemed to be fine at that point.

I have tried alloting more ram, but that did not help, and probably caused problems on the Mac side according to my husband.

I have deleted *pxc file just to try, but it seems the problem is now with the program itself, not just that show.
I also saw a note to delete .phd and .cfg; I only found a .phd so I did remove that, but also to no avail.

I work during the day while support is open; I have tried emailing and will see what they say.

Can anyone offer any ideas ?

I'm desperate ! I need to get the show done, but can only really work on it at nights.

THANKS !

Re: Program won't even open ...

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Knowing nothing about using a Mac, I can't address any problems that might exist there, but perhaps your problem is that software has somehow gotten itself in a tangle. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, making sure that your virus checker is turned off for the duration? I had a situation where deleting the .phd and .cfg files (which always worked before) didn't cure the crashing. However, when I uninstalled and reinstalled, everything was cured. Any shows, by the way, aren't affected by the process...assuming you don't have them saved inside the Producer program folder. I wouldn't trust them there.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Debhamilton » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 am

THANKS Barbara ! just tried it and it worked- show is opening as I type this :)

I have one question - I have the show stored in a folder I created for this show- in My Documents - and it contains the pictures, music, etc that I am using
in this particular show. I have told Proshow to save my show there. I think that's ok from what you said? Does the program default and try to have you save it in
their own folder ? I'm guessing that's what you mean by 'program folder'.

I appreciate your help; wanted to let anyone else having a similar problem that this did work (and I did get an email back from Photodex yesterday saying to do the same
thing if deleting the other files didn't help )

Also, I never found a proshow.cfg file- just a file called sb.cfg - I left that- should I have deleted it? I was uncertain so decided to just do the uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks again,
Debby

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:33 am

Debby, hurray! :D

Yes, when referring to the program folder, I meant the one listed beneath Program Files. No matter what software you're using, the files you work on should be inside folders that you, yourself, have created and in a location other than the software's own folder.

If you have only one hard drive, then My Documents is probably just as good a place as any other. I never put anything there because of an old, old prejudice against it, but my reasons for that prejudice are probably no longer in existence.

It's odd that you can't find proshow.cfg since it has to be in there. (Or was Producer crashing because the file wasn't being automatically created?) Regardless, you were right to leave that sb.cfg alone. It's a file name I've never encountered in the Photodex folder. Did you try clicking on the column header that's labeled "Type"? It reorders everything according to the file extension so that, for instance, all files with the .cfg extension will be grouped together.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting