Burn Blu-ray output to DVD?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Burn Blu-ray output to DVD?

Postby Nelson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:12 am

Hello,

I am still at PSP 4.52 and tried to burn a blu-ray output file to a DVD. Various online searching turned up the inevitable conflicting and misleading information, but in general it seemed like it was possible. Is that true with PSP? Also not immediately finding an answer on the Photodex site.

The file burned OK to the disk (after I clicked through a warning about the media type) but then my new Blu-ray player didn't recognize the disk.

Is it simply not possible, or is there some setting I need to tweak?

Or do I just need to buy blank blu-ray disks?

Thanks much.

Re: Burn Blu-ray output to DVD?

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I have not burned BlueRay myself, but there have been a number of discussions about blue ray here - you might want to search the forum for either "Blue Ray" or ""BD" to see those discussions. For a BD player to correctly identify a blue ray show, my understanding is that it needs to be the BD format on a BD disk. There are some ways to burn a BD show to a standard DVD, but very mixed results seem to be the norm for doing that. I have kind of bypassed the BD and am just using mp4 files that I can put on a flash drive etc. I have actually seen several discussions in the past about the future of the BD format and whether it will survive. It is superior to the SD DVD's we are all used to, but so many devices these days (players, TV's etc.) can handle not only thumb drives, but mp4 directly from them that the need for BD is not what it was when the original DVD came out. It was a huge step up from tape etc. as a distribution format, but these days, almost everything can handle a 720p mp4 that you throw at it.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Burn Blu-ray output to DVD?

Postby Nelson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks mikey, much appreciated. I just got a new flat panel TV, finally getting rid of the old Sony Wega, carted away by two strong young backs, and thought I'd try one of my shows on the blu-ray player. I've also read about how long, or short, blu-rays will survive. In fact an article the other day that had them in there with cheap cameras and car keys as being gone in 5 years.

It was a curiosity to try to play one of my shows in that format, but I won't bother with it and will just go the thumb drive route.

Thanks again.

- Nelson

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting