Producer stops working when rendering Take 2

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Producer stops working when rendering Take 2

Postby EJAB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:19 am

Morning or Afternoon all. This Post is for the attention of Dale im42n8 and Mike gpsmikey and any other folk who may be able to help out.Firstly let me show you what I'm running now.
Custom Build PC. Windows 7-64bit i5 core 10gb DDR 3 ram Nvidia GS-8400 Graphics. Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard. C/: Drive Sarta 500GB G/: Drive Sarta 1.TB H/: Drive Sarta 1.TB
I/: Sarta Drive 300GB. Guys I read with great interest your reply post, Reference "Producer Crashes while rendering ISO" by "dzacco" Sunday Oct 20 2013. Some time ago I posted a similar problem which Dale kindly suggested and explained that Ram or lack of was the answer.This in fact was correct and after upgrading my PC to the above have had no issues!!! That is until Now.
All of the fixes that where suggested before, i.e. rearrange slides, change style packs, move transitions, check for corrupt Mp3 files etc, etc, etc, have been done this time around as you have advised"dzacco" however to no avail.
My Show,, 417 Slides, 9 AVCHD Video Clips (all small) 10 style packs, ALL spread throughout ! total running time One Hour Seventeen Minutes. A piece of cake really,,, Renders fine to ISO Standard DVD settings and burns through Image Burn. Now John (that's me) try rendering to Blu-ray !!! "Oh" Wont work,, keeps stopping at various places,, No message, no warning,,simply stops working stuck on wherever (times 42mins - 53mins - 67mins) Ok,, try going through Video for Web Devices and Computers,, HD MP4 1080p or AVI - QuickTime,, same deal,, and guys therein lies my dilemma !!! Why would this software work with a Standard render to DVD -ISO and then doesn't want to know about it when asked to go Blu-ray or HD MP4 or the like.
What am I missing here Guys ? Is there a file size limit ? Does Producer use more ram rendering larger files ? Have I not ticked all the boxes ? You know Mikey(Not Mickey) got it right this time around Mike !! I could gladly throw this this this out the window. If only I could play Golf better.

Kind Regards to all
EJAB (aka) John.B Melbourne Australia.posting.php?mode=post&f=6#

Producer Take 2 P.S

Postby EJAB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 am

Sorry Guys... Am also running Ver 5 Build 3310
EJAB (aka) John.B

Re: Producer stops working when rendering Take 2

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:42 am

On this one, you might want to contact Photodex. There have been a number of reports that seem to indicate that rendering to Blu-Ray is less than successful at a much higher rate that it should be. Why is anyone's guess.

That you have the same problem with any 1080p output points to (I think) the content ... maybe. I would tend to suspect the video clips, as a starting point. The problem "might" stem from some translation/rendering of the video clips ... maybe the AVCHD clips are 30fps (or higher) vs 24fps? I'm just guessing. It's a place to start. You might remove the video clips, see if the blu-ray proceeds correctly. If so, start introducing the videos one at a time to see what happens.

Anyway, it's a place to start for troubleshooting ... well, re-starting since it seems you've already done the other stuff you could try.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 am

You might try selecting 1280x720 (the other HD format). That uses fewer computer resources. My suspicion is the HD formats are pushing the limits of Producer in its 32bit configuration.

Edited to add:

I often use HD video clips in my productions, but have not tried AVCHD clips directly. My HD camcorder produces AVCHD format files and they do import successfully into Producer, but they are highly compressed and are demanding of computer resources to decompress. After editing and trimming my AVCHD video I convert to an intermediate format that is less demanding on resources. In my case Cineform AVI.
Last edited by Luke_Miller on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 am

Hey, I wish I could play golf better too - you should hear me "fore .... five .... six .... seven .... splash" :twisted: Anyway, I'm not sure just what you are up against here - a corrupted file of some sort would have caused any format render to fail. Any shows I have built where I built an mp4 (720p) also worked fine. It does sound like some sort of resource limitation, but I'm not sure just what. I would assume all your drives are NTFS formatted not FAT32 (FAT32 has a 4 gig file size limit if I remember correctly). AVI files also have a file size limit, but I am not aware of a mp4 limit like that. My experience in the HD side is very limited - I have just recently started playing with mp4 (720p) stuff. The fact that it is stopping in "various places" tends to point to some other issue - possibly heat. If it was a file size limit or corrupted file, I would expect it to stop/crash in the same place. The fact it is different places makes me think perhaps it could be a heat issue (and you are on the side of the world where you are going into summer unlike here where it is foggy and 44 deg. F this morning (6.6 deg C). You might want to pop the cover off the computer and make sure there isn't a dust build up on the cooling fins for the CPU or RAM. Rendering tends to work the CPU hard and I have seen cases in the video forums where normally stable systems crash randomly when rendering and it turned out to be a heat issue (when I build my systems up, I always replace the stock CPU cooler with an extra capacity cooler - so far, no issues).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby EJAB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks Guys!! Dale,, Is there a log somewhere in Producer that would point to some problem? Also I have produced 18 video clips during this past six months all approx ten to twelve mins
all in AVCHD and all around 10GB in size ! These included a couple or Three style pack commercials,, However not to Blu-ray. Those were rendered through Video for web devices and computers at the 1080p HD level MP4 rendered with no problem for eventfull upload to you tube.

John

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

No log that I'm aware of ... the only thing ProShow does is to leave the autosave file behind if the program fails unexpectedly. Normally, this file is deleted upon exiting the program normally. As for a long of what it is or isn't doing, there's nothing I know of.

Photodex will have you download a log generated by the OS, if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I did that. Photodex had me send something to them on one of my problem reports. I don't remember what it was tho. It was an ascii file ... but most of it was unreadable characters ... at least to me. Photodex was able to figure out what was happening by looking at it ... not me!

Maybe Mikey knows ... there's nothing inherently differently to Blu-Ray that I'm aware of, other than it's going to a disk (and so has all this supporting stuff to it). Normally, I wouldn't think you should have a problem if you're exporting HD to HD and there's no big difference in frame rates and such between the input and output (I think ProShow handles it fairly well). However, there have been reports of problems with the actual Blu-Ray export. If there's no resolution to the particular problem you're having, you might want to export the show to a HD 1080p video and import that into a NLE like Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas, etc and doing the final transcoding and export to disk from there. It's a workaround. But, better than nothing.

Also, there may be something unique about your utilization that ProShow is NOT handling and which Photodex might want to know about ... hard to say but might be worth a try as well.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby EJAB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks Dale,, I have sent all info to Support this morning. Just have to wait . Can only hope.
John.B

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Not aware of any specific BD issues, but I have not worked with BD either. One thing worth checking out is snoop in the windows event logs and see if there is anything there that gives any clues as to what is going on. See this article for how to get there: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ent-viewer

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby EJAB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Slight clue,, not real sure if just coincidence however. Went back into show ,, changed from 1080p to 1080i and it rendered to 84% before stopping (That's over Two Hours of render).
Does that tell us anything??
John.B

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 pm

It doesn't like to render? 8)

Dale

Postby EJAB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Very good Dale,, Very good !! Love that sort of sense of humor. Have received overnight a report from Support,, boy will have to have breakfast and wake up before starting on this. Will post a copy when fully active.

EJAB ( aka) John.b

Postby EJAB » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 pm

A note to thank Mikey - Luke - and in particular Dale Fenmore for his unwavering help behind the scene's in an effort to fix this problem. Also Thanks to Jared at Photodex Support who led me down unknown paths to find a positive result. It appears like Windows 32bit stopping when your Computers Ram resoures reach a stage wherein the program you are using could jeopardise
the function of your computer it simply stops that program from working. I'm guessing that this same procedure is alive and well in Windows 7 64bit. In my case it appears that my 10GB of ram
is not enough memory to run my system effectively and take on the huge task of rendering to a Maximum Quality Blu-ray show as complex and demanding as mine. It will be interesting to see if by increasing the Ram to 16GB (which is the max) how producer travels. The breakthrough came about through Dale and Jerad,, Dale with idea's and patience,, and Jerad walking me though Producers not so obvious hidden features. In a nut shell what it took was a (not so simple to me) simple re-size of all the image's i.e. Down from 3648X2056 to 1920X1080p in doing this it took an enormous strain off Producer and in turn allowed rendering to complete without a hitch. The down side or to some upside,, is you need to install special software to achieve this end.
You will find this at..www.fotosizer.com/ and it is a Free program.

Again many thanks to all concerned.

EJAB aka John.B

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm

For what it's worth, one of my favorite utilities, Irfanview (FREE) will also batch resize images. When I do it to create images I want to email for example, I set the rename template to create a filename of orig_file_1024px.jpg for example to indicate the original file name and it has been resized to 1024px on the long side. Anyway, Irfanview is a very handy utility to have on your system (I generally install it as part of a new windows install).

mikey

Postby im42n8 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Don't count on extra ram with any release of Producer through the latest ... it's still a 32-bit program. That means it's limited to about 4GB of RAM. Until Photodex releases a 64-bit version of the program, we're limited in what the program can use.

This is a change that many of us are hoping for ... a 64-bit version of ProShow. Well, we can all hope, right?

Glad you could get the problem worked out.

Dale

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting