Crash on loading show

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Crash on loading show

Postby MichaelD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm

This morning when I tried to open my project file (using PSP 5.0.3310) the first odd thing was that I got the message about loading transitions, stating that this only occurs the first time or if I have changed transitions. Does that include using a transition I hadn't used before? That would have been true. Anyway after completing that process and continuing to load my project eventually PSP displayed the message:

Cannot open file.

No further explanation or name of file etc - it just refused to open the project.

I then tried removing (actually renaming) the proshow.cfg and proshow.phd files, and also the pxtemp file. I then restarted PSP and browsed to find the project. The project started loading as usual, including loading the transitions, and then came to the message box about loading the show, eg "file 1 of 287" etc. After getting to the end of this (287 of 287), Windows throws a message saying the program has failed.

I've tried going back to the .bak file (renaming it with a .psh extension after renaming the existing .psh file), which had been auto-saved only about 10 minutes before the (then) latest .psh file, but got the same results.

Do I keep going back through the backup files (.b01 etc) until I get a clean load, or is there a better solution.

I'm very concerned about this - my wife and I have spent hours putting together this show of a recent holiday. I've had to resort to removing the .cfg and .phd files twice before since purchasing PSP, but don't recall ever having issues like this with PSG.
Mike

Re: Crash on loading show

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Try loading the program again ... sometimes it takes a couple of times. It's a known issue.

But don't try opening the show until the program has loaded all of the transitions ... yeah, odd "bug".

Once it's done, you should be able to load the show. if not, delete the shows PXC file and try again (it's in the same folder as the). If that fails, delete the PHD file (it's found in the root folder of where you installed the program: proshow.phd).

Try that and let us know if you still have problems.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Crash on loading show

Postby MichaelD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks, Dale. I also sent my report to Photodex and received a reply shortly afterwards. Photodex asked me to delete all files from the "transitions" folder (under "Program Files (x86) \ Photodex \ ProShow Producer"), so I did that and now my project opens perfectly, and quickly. Whether that alone was the cure or just closing and re-opening PSP a few times I don't know! The "transitions" folder is still empty, but (understandably) I see that most themed transitions no longer exist. I'm not using any themed transitions in this particular show, but that could be an issue if I try to re-load an old show. I'll re-download the themes if I can.
Mike

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting