Import full-hd-videos have bad quality

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Import full-hd-videos have bad quality

Postby realbutsch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Helo,
i have one question.
I try to import Full-HD-videos (1920 x 1080)
to a show. But the video have in proshow always a bad quality
and resolution (maybe VGA-Resolution).
What ist the best way to import and use full-hd-videos in proshow-producer.
thank you
regards
realbutsch

Re: Import full-hd-videos have bad quality

Postby Jeep » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 am

Hi
Do you mean in preview mode or when the output has been made ?
In preview mode you may change the default resolution values in the Preferences in the Playback options
In output, it depends upon the format and the parameters you have used

jean-Pierre
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby realbutsch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 am

Hi,
- my show has the resolution: 1920 x 1080
- my importet videos has the same resolution: 1920 x 1080

And i generate as output
full-hd-videos or Executables in 1920 x 1080.

In the result-file the videos has bad quality.

thanks,

Postby nsd3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:51 am

What is the frame rate of your imported video? You could be having the same problem I have - output video is jerky and not smooth.

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:16 am

I routinely use 1920 x 1080 60P video in my productions with excellent results. In the PUBLISH module the output options have a setting for video quality. The default is MEDIUM. I set it to HIGH. I do not care for the 1920 x 1080 24P output. Any panning in the video clips (and often still images as well) is too jerky for my taste. Its not Producer - I just don't like 24P. All my HD productions are produced at 1280 x 720 60P. The reduction in resolution is only slightly visible and the 60 frames per second framerate makes for much more satisfying viewing.

Postby nsd3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 am

Proshow converts all input video to 30fps, regardless of what the original frame rate is. I too find this a major failing of the software. It would be so much more useful to let the user configure proshow to what you want it to do, at both the input and output stage. As it is, you're wasting your time shooting at 60fps (unless you use the footage for something else), proshow takes no notice. As I live in a PAL TV standard region of the world, I can only shoot video at 25 or 50fps, either way, proshow renders the video to 30fps and the results are poor.

Postby Jeep » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 am

I DO NOT agree with you !
ProShow works at the rate you that you indicate in your output window. If you use Custom video file as output and custom as Type you could indicate any rate from 23.98 to 60. I am living in a Pal region too and I often use the 25 or 50 i/s rate.
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby nsd3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 pm

That's not what ProShow Technical Support told me. I originally raised this with them, they agree! If you input 25fps video, it transcodes it to 30fps. The software makes a default assumption on how to handle the video for fast previews, based on the fact most monitors have a default refresh rate of 60Hz, plus the slide show simply looks smoother with the higher frame rate.

Yes you can output any video frame rate, but that's the only control you have. What if you had both 25 & 30fps video in the same slide show. How is the program going to handle it? Forget about the output, just import 25 & 30fps video and preview the result. It's fast, because proshow has taken the 25fps video and transcoded it to 30fps. Does it give you the ability to transcode the 30fps down to 25fps - no!

I made a slide show with video from a ski trip, naturally, it had lots of horizontal motion, and the output is truly horrendous. If you output at 25fps (say for a PAL DVD) the effect is even worse. Proshow has to create 5 additional frames of video at import, and if you output at 25fps, remove 5 frames per second. Problem is, it may not remove the same 5 "generated" frames per second it created in the first place. The result, for every 1/5th second, you have three original frames and one frame potentially duplicated twice.

Everything works just fine for still images, after all, they have no motion in the first place, so proshow can output at any sensible frame rate. Drop video into the show, and if it's not 30fps, you may have a satisfactory slide show at the end of it, but there again, you may not. The best solution I've come up with is to transcode my video to 30fps externally, using Adobe Media Encoder. I output everything at 30fps, and if I need a DVD, I just create a NTSC standard DVD, which plays just fine on most modern UK DVD players & TVs.

The problem is not so bad going the other way. Starting with 30fps and ending up with 25fps is a lot more acceptable to the eye, but as I've found, everything looks better if you just leave it at 30fps. For my own personal use, I simply author blu-ray discs and maintain the high definition.

Postby Jeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:39 am

I use to output my video files for broadcast customers. If this problem WAS, I could search a new job because my firm should be out.
Here are 2 very short examples: one at 25 frames/s = 3.41 Mb, the other at 50 frames/s = 6.86 Mb.
When viewing their properties (right click on the filename -> Properties) it's confirmed that one is at 25 i/s, the second at 50 i/s
http://jeeep.breizhbleu.com/Try25.mp4
http://jeeep.breizhbleu.com/Try50.mp4
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby nsd3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 am

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. All I see is two videos of a still picture at different frame rates. What is the context in which they were used?

Postby Jeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:51 am

Even if these files are made of still images, these are video mp4 files output from ProShow at 2 different frame rates. You are telling us from previous posts that ProShow only outputs at the same rate of 30 i/s this is not true. If you need an output containing a 25 i/s video file I can do it too.
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby Jeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:07 am

Here is a show created with a slide containing a MOV video at 25 i/s from a Canon 5D Mark II output.
Imported in ProShow and output at the same rate of 25 i/s. I can output it at 50 i/s at any time it will never give me a videofile at 30 i/s. You may check the frame rate in the properties dialog of the file.
http://jeeep.breizhbleu.com/Lions.mp4
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby Jeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:17 am

The same output but at 50 i/s. The properties DO indicate 50 frames/second. I have never seen any output at 30 i/s if I need another rate.
http://jeeep.breizhbleu.com/Lions50.mp4
Jean-Pierre

My blog

Postby nsd3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:10 am

Actually, I said "Proshow converts all input video to 30fps". When you preview the video , that's the playback speed and you can't change it. Yes, you can output it at a different frame rate because the software is then generating a new file to the specification you requested.

What I'm saying is the internal video engine for proshow, only handles 30fps video, no matter what it's imported as. It has to work with something, and that something needs to be consistent. So if you import 24,25,30,50 or 60fps video, all the non 30fps video is transcoded to 30fps. At this point it's still internal to the program. Look at it this way. If you import some 25 fps video, and make it play back as part of your slide show where (for example), you may have a moving (slide) background and some other elements going on, and then your 25fps video floats across the screen in its own layer, what do you think would happen when you preview it on your computer monitor? You would have a 30fps slide show with a 25fps layer doing its own thing. It wouldn't work, it would strobe and flicker. Proshow gets round that by transcoding the video to 30fps. Now it matches the preview output and everything is fine. Remember, you can't control the real time preview output rate.

When it comes to the final render, yes you can specify a different frame rate for output, but the damage to your video has already been done, proshow only works on its internal 30fps video which it created the second you dropped that video onto the slide time line - whatever original frame rate that may have been.

That's my issue. I can't instruct proshow to treat a whole slide show from the point of its creation to expect video that is 25fps. it will certainly import it, but that doesn't solve the problem. I need to be able to instruct proshow to handle the video at its original frame rate right at the beginning, and leave it that way. If I want to output at anything other than 25fps, well that's my problem. As it is, I may have choice at output, but that doesn't go far enough!

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am

nsd3 wrote:When it comes to the final render, yes you can specify a different frame rate for output, but the damage to your video has already been done, proshow only works on its internal 30fps video which it created the second you dropped that video onto the slide time line - whatever original frame rate that may have been.

Is this correct - Producer transcodes 60 fps video to 30 fps for preview purposes and then uses the transcoded 30 fps video for all output? So if I import 60 fps video and select 60 fps output Producer re-creates the frames it discarded when transcoding? If true this would be a big deal for many.

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting