Unsupported image format

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Unsupported image format

Postby caprice » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Lately when I open up previously created slideshows saved as .psh, Proshow says it can't find the files that are located in the cache files. It says "they must have been moved" yet they are still in the same place where they were when I created the slideshow. When I manually locate them and click "open", I get the message "the file you've chosen isn't a supported image format".
Any one understand what's going on?

Valued Member

Re: Unsupported image format

Postby DanMac » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 pm

xxxx
Last edited by DanMac on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:25 am

You may have a corrupted cache file. Try deleting it and see what happens. It is also possible that the PHD file (located in the program's root folder) has gone south ... rename it (so you can re-use it, maybe, if it turns out to not be the problem) or delete it to see if it's replacement might also fix the problem (it's regenerated if the program discovers it's missing).

At the extreme end of things, you might just try to reinstall the program over the original installation. This is to replace any other corrupted files that may have occurred. You never know. However, if the files haven't moved and they were part of the PSH file from the beginning, something bad has happened somewhere and you should NOT be getting this message. Hopefully, one of the approaches above should work. I'd start with the cache file first, then the PHD, and finally the reinstallation if the previous "fix" didn't work.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby caprice » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for your help. Would it just be easier to just re-install the whole slideshow pack? I'm happy to recreate the show from scratch as it sounds like this problem will continue if I only repair one part of it.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 am

No, the cache file is sort of like a transcode file. It has information that allows the show to play quickly when the play or scrub is used. It's written too on a continuous basis. If it got corrupted (because the program got confused somehow), it's going to stay that way until regenerated. Delete it when the show is NOT open and then reload the show. The .pxc (cache file) is regenerated automatically. The PXC file is specific to the single show it is associated with.

Many problems also come from the PHD file (often referred to as the ProShow database) being corrupted ... many odd things can happen when it gets corrupted. It too is written to on a continuous basis while the program is open. When the program is closed, delete it and then re-open it. The file is automatically re-created.

These 2 actions correct a vast majority of the glitches we see. My guess is that the PHD file has been corrupted. You'll find it in the root folder where you installed the program. If you have to, open explorer, navigate to the program files (program files (x86) if you are on a 64-bit operating system) folder, find the Photodex folder. Then, have explorer search for "proshow.phd" ... While only a single show may be affected by a corrupted PHD, that doesn't mean that others won't be or aren't. But, regenerating it corrects a problem that could potentially affect other shows.

Re-Installing a slideshow pack won't fix a thing unless there's a corrupted effect. If there is a problem with one of the image or with one of the effects, your problem would typically appear during play/scrub or when you tried to export the show to a video format. In your case, simply opening the show is the problem. Definitely points to a problem that's often indicative of something with the PHD or PXC files. The "PXC" file is located in the same location as your show (the PSH file) and has the same name as your show. Only the extension is different.

You could try to use an earlier version of the show. You'll find these in the same folder as the PSH file. Their extension are usually. .b01 through .b09. Change the extension to PSH and open it as you normally would. The same goes for the file with the extension .bak. But, I'd go the delete the PXC route first and if that doesn't work, delete the PHD file. If those don't work, then try the .bak or the .b01 though .b09 (they are the backup files, 0 through 9).

Good luck.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby caprice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks Dale, I'll give it a go!

Postby caprice » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 pm

I tried this and it worked! Thanks Dale!
im42n8 wrote:My guess is that the PHD file has been corrupted. You'll find it in the root folder where you installed the program. If you have to, open explorer, navigate to the program files (program files (x86) if you are on a 64-bit operating system) folder, find the Photodex folder. Then, have explorer search for "proshow.phd"

Cheers!
Greg

Postby ollyt » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks - same problem and deleting the .phd file worked for me too. After a couple of years of no issues though and having this happen twice in the last month, I think I have sleuthing ahead of me, because why now...?

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting