Pausing a Slide

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: Pausing a Slide

Postby cherub » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 am

nsd3 wrote:Many thanks to you all for contributing to my question. I really appreciate it. After posting my question, I figured out I could use the “Copy Last Keyframe to Next Slide” option, and yes, masks become disabled in the process as Mona pointed out. So there is a working solution, not great, but better than nothing.

What surprises me is I’d have thought the ability to have a function “Pause Slide at end of Effect for x seconds” would be quite a useful feature to include in the ProShow products. Perhaps a special kind of keyframe that simply holds the look of the slide at the end of the effect for a specified amount of time before the next transition kicks in.
Kind regards to you all, Steve

Well, not exactly.
The "working solution" as you called it, is to work with Producer using keyframes, and not to insert unnecessary slides. The function of "copy last keyframe to next slide" is just a workaround, that was offered to help you out.
Holding the position in Producer is done by creating two identical keyframes. Simply put, if the keyframes are identical, it means that nothing moves during this time.
This holding of position is very useful, and can be done at any stage of your slide, and in any layer, and not just at the end of the slide. For example, sometimes you may find the need to stop certain layers at a given time, while other layers continue to move.
If you follow the instructions given to you by Debbie, you will learn how to do this, in the way that it is meant to be done in Producer.

Re: Pausing a Slide

Postby im42n8 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 am

Using Producer like you used Gold is a good way to work Producer features into your workflow as you discover simpler, more powerful ways Producer offers to reduce the amount of work required to create your show. To make effective use of Producer you MUST learn how to use multiple keyframes and you MUST learn how to work with masks. These two Producer features form the core of accessing much of ProShow's power.

It's simple, to be sure. However, getting there isn't what it looks like. There are a lot of little things to learn, relearn, or unlearn. It just takes a bit of time and effort. Producer is flexible enough to accommodate many different workflows. However, you need to figure out the Producer way to doing things if you want to save yourself time and effort. In the short run, it's probably going to take you longer to accomplish what you did in Gold. But, it's only because of the learning curve resulting from the transition from a very limited (in capabilities) program to one that seems to let you do almost anything you want to do. Like Gold, using Producer to create a slideshow is simple. What's not as simple as it looks, is using the program effectively. However, as you gain more familiarity with the program, things become substantially easier and simpler.

You might want to study various styles to figure out how they do what they do. An awful lot of insight can be gleaned from studying how they work. They're an invaluable resource. Just add images to a slide and apply the style. Duplicate the slide. Then, work on the duplicate and compare any changes you make to it with the original. It's worth the effort since it can reduce your learning curve considerably and save you time and effort in the long run.

When you run into problems, pop the question here on the Forum (before you beat yourself up trying to figure out whether it's possible or not ... or frustrating yourself because it's just NOT making sense). There are a wide variety of expertises here and someone is sure to have one or more solutions for you. That sames time and grief!

Above all, have fun!

and Good Luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Previous

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting