DVD from ISO will not run in Win 7 machine

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

DVD from ISO will not run in Win 7 machine

Postby RichardB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:38 pm

I burned a DVD disc from an ISO file containing a Producer 4 show and it plays fine in the Sony CD-DVD player connected to my TV, it plays fine on my wife's MacBook Pro, but will not boot up when inserted in my laptop DVD player that wrote the DVD. In fact, the computer does not even "see" it. What gives???? Thx.

Re: DVD from ISO will not run in Win 7 machine

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Hmmm - you can't even see it in windows explorer ? Even without a DVD player app, you should at least be able to read the disk and see the file structure. The only thing that comes to mind here is the disk was not finalized when you burned it, but I have not run into that, only heard of others with that issue. Are you sure your laptop has a DVD drive in it and not a CD only drive ? Can you read other DVD's?

edit - I see you say that was the drive that wrote it, so it has to be a DVD drive. What did you use to burn the DVD (what app?) ? I burn dvd's all the time on my win7 machine (desktop) and have no issues either reading the disk or playing it either on this machine or regular players. I use the free Imgburn utility to burn from an ISO and usually check the "verify" box.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 pm

I seem to remember that some versions of Windows do not ship with a codec to play DVD videos.

I suggest downloading and installing VLC Media Player (free).
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby cherub » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 pm

briancbb wrote:I seem to remember that some versions of Windows do not ship with a codec to play DVD videos.

I suggest downloading and installing VLC Media Player (free).

Yes, I remember this too :D
The good old XP, for instance.

Postby RichardB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 am

I run DVDs of all sorts on my machine regularly. Movies, educational/instructional, data files, stored photographs, audio files of various formats. All kinds. Without any problems. But why, oh why, won't it play this DVD+R disc made on the same machine, using the Windows DVD Maker that I've always used, from an ISO file created by Producer? The same disc boots and runs on a MACBook Pro (and I'm surprised at that, too!) and in my Sony home DVD player connected to a flat screen TV. Why won't it run in my Window 7 laptop when any and all other DVDs will?

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:24 pm

You didn't answer my question about if you could see the file system when you put the disk in the DVD drive. It may also be an issue with the +R format (I use Taiyo Yuden -R and have had no issues). What is not clear in your case is if your system can even read the file system on the disk. I have not run into that issue before - I have seen disks that the drive can't read, but they were usually ones that it could not burn either.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby RichardB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 pm

No, I could NOT see any information on the disc when inserted. It gave me the idea that the disc was blank. (what do you want to do with blank disc? dialogue)
So, I have put on my Major Moron hat tonight. Shamefully, I might add.
I went back to an ISO file I KNOW FOR CERTAIN I have burned in the past. Still could not read it. So, it's NOT a problem coming out of Producer.
Then I thought. Wait a minute. The writing laser and the reading laser are two different things, right?
I put a can of compressed air into the slot where the disc goes and blew and blew and blew.
Guess stinkin' what? I put in the disc written with the ISO file and......presto. Loading. Then playing. Oh fudge. Major mental midget here.
I can't say why it would play movies, and instructional discs except to say those are probably pressed rather than burned.
My apologies for asking others to figure this out. I am beyond humbled.
Thank you for your attempts to assist.
Rule of thumb: Look for the simple things FIRST! ALWAYS.
Thanks,
RBMC

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Heh heh - been there done that. Those kinds of things keep you from getting too confident :lol:
Glad you solved it (although if you had burned it with Imgburn and selected the "verify" option, you would have found out sooner that it could not read. :D

mikey

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting