Color Shift from LR/PS

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Color Shift from LR/PS

Postby PhotoGene47 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 pm

I am having a problem with color shift [especially in green spectrum] after editing in Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC and then opening in PSP. I am using the latest version of PSP [build 3310]. If I take the same photograph back into LR or PS, it looks fine. It is only in PSP that I am having this problem. I do calibrate my monitor using Spyder 3 version 4.02 by Datacolor. This is the first time I have had this problem. Recently, I refreshed Windows 8 and reinstalled all software.

I have a Windows 8 64-bit program on an HP Envy Desktop machine. I figure it is some mistake on my part but trying to figure it out is the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Re: Color Shift from LR/PS

Postby jlwilm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:45 pm

My first guess would be the colour space - Lr defaults to ProPhoto and PSP is expecting sRGB. If exporting from Lr, check the color space setting in the Export Dialogue, if saving from PS, probably Image, convert color profile and set to sRGB. (Not sure, don't have fill PS on this computer, so can't check).
John

Postby PhotoGene47 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 am

When I exported from LR, I checked to make certain it was sRGB and not one of the higher level color spaces. The odd thing about all this is that if I open the copy that I use in PSP in either LR5 or PSCC, the image looks good. Picasa is also showing the color shift that PSP sees. On some of the photos, I can change the hue to 97% and make it somewhat better than the copy but still not what I would want as a show. This is the first time this has happened and I have been using LR, PS and PSP for years.

Postby PhotoGene47 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 am

Referring to color space, I think I have found a solution. If I, instead of exporting to sRGB, use AdobeRGB, the colors are exactly as they are supposed to be. There is no color shift. I have opened PSP and looked at the images exported in this manner and the results are good. It may be that the process of exporting to sRGB was actually skewing the colors into the green spectrum. Still, I cannot recall having this difficulty when I previously exported from LR.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 am

Granted, I use Photoshop, not Lightroom for my photos, but I've found that the Adobe color space isn't as good as sRGB for Producer. I've definitely seen the greenish tinge you're talking about, but it was with ProPhoto. Are you sure you're actually converting to 8-bit sRGB? There's also a choice that has you working in it, but when the photo is saved, it's still in whatever the native color space was.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby PhotoGene47 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 am

Quite sure. Adobe suggested using Soft Proof in Lightroom to enable seeing the difference. Photodex suggested going to Edit, then Preferences, Playback and then to check the Use Default ICC Color profile for previews if available. I did discover that if this box is checked and you are using the Adobe RGB profile, it does pick up a tint. If unchecked, it does not. I am assuming that the opposite would be true for sRGB but as I already deleted the photos and am working on the show, I have not had a chance to check it for accuracy.

I also use Photoshop in addition to Lightroom [as part of the editing process] but it did not show the problem when an image was opened in that program either. It showed the image as I wanted it to look, not as it was appearing in either ProShow Producer or Picasa. All of the images were shot originally in the RAW [NEF] format and converted to DNG as this is my usual process.

It seems as if I have new insight to the problem now. Why the conversion process does this, I am at a loss to explain but it does and it needs to be addressed by the software makers so that the conversion process is seamless from beginning to end.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 am

Photoshop has its workspace color profile, which is separate from the profile in which it saves. I've never been overly impressed with this setup, perhaps because, at first, I had no idea what was going on. The irritation of being in the dark has remained in spite of having learned the difference years ago. :D

Anyway, when I'm working on images for a show, I work on their copies, doing it in an sRGB workspace and saving as such. Since I started doing this quite a long time ago, there have been no color anomalies.

Don't you wish all software was in agreement, none of it mangling what its brethren do?

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jlwilm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 am

I believe the problem arises dure to the fact that both Lightroom and Photoshop (Elements, CS) are colour managed programs, They take the colour space that the image is in and map it correctly to the screen.

When you switch up colour spaces (sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto), Photoshop doesn't care - it maps the correct image to your screen.

Other applications that are not colour managed - just about everything else including Proshow only consistently work properly with sRGB. A lot of online photo print shops require sRGB.

So, export or convert and save to sRGB or you will get colour shifts happening.

And some colours are more subject to shifting than others, so you might have a shot where it looks just great and others where it looks unreal.
John

Postby PhotoGene47 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 am

Barbara and John, thanks for the replies and help. In the past, going through the cobwebs of my memory, I realize that I did not shift to sRGB but stayed with Photoshop's AdobeRGB. I have not used LR previously to convert the color space but that should not make a difference as both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same process, I believe. Still, this has been an experience and a wake-up call. Typically, I exported the files to AdobeRGB from PS and then reduced their size using an easy to manage 3rd party reducer. I have checked and the reducer is not the problem. The problem is in the shift prior to size reduction [reduction is needed because ProShow Producer is STILL 32 bit - which allows me to only use a portion of my RAM for PSP]. At any rate, on screen files need very little resolution compared to prints. Anyway, the shift occurs following export to sRGB from Lightroom. As John explained, this is not seen in LR because it manages the applicable color profile to display the intended colors. This may be why Adobe recommended using Soft Proofing to see what the effect is but that would still require a bunch of additional editing to get it right for screen in sRGB. I do not know what all is required because I never used Soft Proofing which all the information I read is related to making prints. I do calibrate my monitor but have not used specific ICC color profiles because I have not made any prints, I deal mainly in shows. This is the first time I have run head first into a brick wall dealing with color shift when exporting. I did not know whether or not it was indigenous to LR 5 but, apparently, it is not. It seems as if I have some research involved with color management because previous information did not cover this aspect of my problem. So, for now anyway, I will continue to use AdobeRGB. Barbara, I will investigate the aforementioned process of checking the ICC color profile box in PSP to see if that will abate the problem. I did note that with it checked and using AdobeRGB, I had a color shift until I unchecked it. Thank you both for your invaluable help.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 am

I have photos that were originally done using ProPhoto (definite color shift in Producer) and in Adobe RGB (colors seem dull in Producer), and what I've done with them is to use Photoshop's "Convert" process, changing them to sRGB and saving to a new file if I want to preserve the original. If not, I just perform a normal save. Once this has been done, the new versions show all their color properly in Producer. It's really as simple as that.

Barbara

Postby PhotoGene47 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks, Barbara. I have not used this process previously but will give it a shot prior to working on my current show. :D

Postby PhotoGene47 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Okay, after further review it seems that the original photos used could easily have been used had I taken the one step that I had not known about in the beginning of the process which is:
In PSP - on the Edit menu choose Preferences and then Playback. In the Miscellaneous Playback Options section, check the box with Color Profiles [in front of it] which will use the default ICC profile for previews if available.

I used the PS script method of exporting these files to JPEG and converting to sRGB. The strange thing is that it did the same thing as LR but it does not matter as long as the Playback preferences are enabled for the use of the default ICC color profile. The big test will be when I finish the show and export it to disk for play on a TV.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:23 pm

PhotoGene47 wrote:The big test will be when I finish the show and export it to disk for play on a TV.

And that's the truth. :D

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Speaking of hidden land mines, another one that has bitten me in the past - some photo editors don't update the embedded preview in a jpg when you modify the image. Not sure which ones have that issue these days (or if they have finally been fixed), but it makes life interesting when you are looking at something that uses the embedded preview and you just KNOW you changed that image and why isn't it showing up in the preview ? Windows uses the embedded thumbnail if it finds it or creates one if it does not have the embedded thumbnail so in the thumbnail view of a folder, you can find images you just know you changed, but they don't show the changes (the trick is to either use an editor that updates the thumbnail correctly or to use some of the available EXIF tools and remove the thumbnail so windows creates a correct view). That one drove me nuts for a while (and yes, many will claim that is a short drive :lol: )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 am

Mikey, periodically Adobe Bridge ignores an update, and even worse, sometimes it shows only the icon for the image. Granted, I'm using an older version of Bridge, so I've no idea if the issue was ever addressed.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting