file photo - order in timeline

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

file photo - order in timeline

Postby olivia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:12 am

Is it possible, when I have pictures from different camera sort my photos by date /hour IN FILE LIST OR TIMELINE?
If in my page I can decide the order (date/hour) - but when I move them in Proshow (5) in timeline they pass to alphabetical or numerical order.
So I have to move all the photos to get a logical order.
I hope I have explained well what I would like to.

Grazie

Re: file photo - order in timeline

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 am

You'd have to rename all the photos either using number or alphabetic order before using them in a show because Producer uses the natural order created by Windows. So, how you accomplish what you want will depend on whether you're willing to spend the time to rename everything or to arrange the photos one at a time in a show. In either case, it will take time. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:25 am

In the File List you might be able to sort by the "Date Modified" column if you haven't edited any of the photos yet. Try copying the photos from each camera to a new folder first. That way if it doesn't work you can go back to your original folders.

If you don't see the "Date Modified" column, right click on any of the headings and in the context menu check the Date Modified option. You can then click the column header to sort or reverse sort by that date. I don't mix photos from different cameras so I haven't tried this, but it may get you closer to what you're trying to accomplish.

Joe

Postby olivia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:01 am

Yes in my folder I can order the photo to date/hour (it's a mix of 4 different cameras) but when I open it in Proshow - photos come back alphabeticy and numeric order.
I think renaming is the only possibility but as Barbara says is a long work. !!
Grazie

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:12 pm

One thing I started doing years ago is I have a utility that renames all images I bring onto my system based on the EXIF timestamp and the camera used. Some folks have said they don't like that idea, but then I see them later trying to organize things by time taken. In my case, the images are renamed by a utility called "set name to time" (no longer available, but there are others out there) that creates a new file name for each image based on a template I give it, the image timestamp and the camera used. This results in files where all images are organized by the time created, but I can easily sort for only those shot by me, my wife, daughter etc. So far it has worked out very well and it only takes about 15 seconds to rename 300 images. Another thing I do (disk space is cheap) is when I edit an image in Photoshop etc, I keep the original and name the new version with a "_mod.jpg" (or mod2 etc). Something to consider. If I batch resize images (I use Irfanview) for sending to folks, part of the batch rename includes the resolution of the resized image - for example, the original (renamed) image "DC_130722_1241_55__Mikey2-02.jpg" when modified then resized for emailing would end up as "DC_130722_1241_55__Mikey2-02_mod_1024px.jpg" - from the name, I can tell it was shot in 2013, July(07),22nd, at 12:41:55 with my Nikon D300s (Mikey2) and was the second frame of a burst, had been modified (_mod) and resized to 1024px on the long dimension. I know it sounds complicated initially, but with the automated tools, it means I keep the original, any modified versions and any resized versions all without stepping on each other with duplicated file names.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby olivia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks Mikey .... done.

I already had a small utility to arrange photos by date / hour / minute, but nothing more..
Reading your instructions I found in Internet a small free utility that ORDER but also RENAME.
180 photos, only 6 photos are wrong because the phone's date was not set.
I put the photos in Proshow ..... and everything beautifully.
Scusa il mio inglese o Google traduttore.
A kiss from Italy!!!!!!

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:25 pm

I know how the camera time thing goes - my old Olympus had the nasty habit if you took the batteries out too long to charge them of forgetting the time. The really bad part was that it came up 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds ... and STAYED there until you set the clock again. The other one that has bitten me in the past is to use 2 cameras on vacation for example (mine and my wife's) and forget to set one of them to daylight savings time so they are an hour different - makes for an interesting order of shots when you were both shooting at the same time :roll:

Greetings to Italy - my mother in law was from Northern Italy and my uncle was from southern Italy :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting