Running shows from USB Flash Drives

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Running shows from USB Flash Drives

Postby Andy_S » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 am

Hi, I tried to run a show on my samsung tv and it would not work. Has anyone got any advice/tips on how best to create shows to run from USB Flash Drives?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Re: Running shows from USB Flash Drives

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 am

You are not saying what format of output you used when you tried to run your show.

From my experience, modern TVs support all major video formats, and they have a special menu to display the contents that are placed on the USB drive.
If you render your show to any video format, you will be able to watch it on your TV.

For example, you can choose any of the YouTube options (personally, I always choose the HD one), save the video on your computer instead of uploading it, and then copy it to your flash drive.

You will be able to see the contents of the flash drive on your TV, if you point it to the USB connection.

Postby debngar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am

To add to Mona's comments, it might be helpful to take a look at your TV's user's manual which should list file formats it will display on your particular model.

One of my older LCD flat screen TVs plays certain formats but not others. Though I've not tried it, a way to get around this, I think, is to use my ROKU box that has a USB port to play media. Some ROKU models don't have this feature so if you want to go that route, choose one that does.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 am

debngar wrote:
One of my older LCD flat screen TVs plays certain formats but not others.

You are lucky!
My oldest LCD flat screen, doesn't have a USB port at all :D

Postby scorpion » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Andrew,

I own a Samsung Smart TV purchased in the past year and have played many shows on it from USB flash drives. I believe I rendered them as MPEG4 formats so I could view them in High Definition. This format should be compatible with your television.
Steve

Postby Andy_S » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks guys, I will have a play around in the next few days.

At least now I know it's possible.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:37 pm

It is not clear from your initial post just what you were doing "tried to run a show ..." - if you meant tried to run an executable, that will not work since the TV does not have Windows running on it (which is required for an executable). If you meant tried to play a video file that you had created and stored on the flash drive, then start by checking the manual for the TV (or downloading a copy of the manual/specs if your manuals seem to hide the way mine do .. ). Most things these days seem to handle mp4 video in some resolution or another (720 often seems to work).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Edelbert » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:34 am

I have a normal (old) TV and connected to it is a Logik DVD player with a USB port.
I had to experiment to find the correct rendering in order to play my show on the TV from the USB port.
I used:
Create Output / Device / Video file / AVI / Mpeg-4 SP 480p (the 720p won't play)
I use this for testing and fine tuning until i'm happy. One look at it differently than on the PC. Once satisfied, I burn onto DVD.
From the USB I found a few problem areas. Which I can live with during testing.
1. The sound levels is rather unpredictable - i.e one track plays loud and the next is soft. On the PC it sounds fine.
2. Captions seems to disappear rather quickly unless you change the caption motion into the start and end transitions.
3. Horizontal panning is flickering.
My wife has a Coby window frame. I still have not found a rendering that would play the show fullscreen on it
Happy showings
Edelbert

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting