trimming a Slide style

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Honorary ProShow PHD

trimming a Slide style

Postby pd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

I have purchased a set of styles a couple of years ago and there is an effect which I would like to tweak. It is a carousel of 5 slides. I feel that the first and last slide are in view too long.
In v5 I went into the keyframe editor and decreased the time at the appropriate KFs (those having the same time) to be to my liking.
I then shortened the last KFs and that gave me an acceptable result.

Now here is the caveat. Most of the KF lines have a black bar after the CUT transition which I want to remove.
My question, how.

Thanks and sincere regards.
pd
regards.
pd

Re: trimming a Slide style

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:19 am

PD, I don't understand what the black bar is. Could you tell us what it looks like and where it is? What kind of carousel is it that you're working on? This info might help understanding the problem.

When you decreased the time I'm assuming you removed the time (deleted) vs moving the kf's? Same thing with the last kf's? This "might" be relevant. Not sure. But, you never know. If all of the keyframes were aligned together (that is existed at at the same time location), the deleted time shouldn't have had much of an effect (you wouldn't think so anyway). But, if they weren't, there's the possibility that one or more of the layers affected by the time change became mis-aligned. Just deleting time ordinarily won't change things materially ... except for when the removal of time makes keyframes overlap or to make them merge (which can occur if the conditions are just right).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 am

im42n8 wrote:PD, I don't understand what the black bar is. Could you tell us what it looks like and where it is? What kind of carousel is it that you're working on? This info might help understanding the problem.Dale

I think that he's working on some older styles.
The "black bar" could be the Pan x = 0
Could be that when PD made those time changes, some of the layers that are reduced to pan x=0, have become visible all of a sudden, instead of being hidden by the other layers.

Just a guess on my part, because just like you, I need more information about those styles.

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 am

Ahhhh! Doncha just love mysteries?! 8)

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 pm

The style is 'Carousel Portrait 5 Full 1'
I feel that the first and last slides stay in view too long and wanted to trim them one second from both ends.
The start was trimmed easily but cannot figure the end. Some slides stop displaying before the end of the style and end with a cut and you see a black bar till the end. (ie nothing is happening further)
Those which end at the very end will have a cut shown below the last KF.
I thought of deleting one second from all these at 19s. A black bar for the deleted one second is shown and effectively I get one second of black screen. Surely I am doing something stupid.

Thanks for the help.
regards.
pd

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Put your 5 portraits onto a blank slide.
Set the slide time time to 21 seconds. Set the transition prior to the slide to 2 seconds.
Apply the Carousel 5 Portraits Full I Style
Double click on the slide to open slide options.
On Layer 1, put a keyframe just inside the slide time (say at 2.1 seconds).
Right click on this newly created keyframe (kf2) and select "Add/Remove time from keyframe"
Change the time from "1" to "-1" and click on OK
Delete the added keyframe (kf2)

Next, go to layer 5. Right click on kf9 and remove 1 second from it. There are no other keyframes to the right of this keyframe on any layer except for those keyframes that are firewalled to the far right.

That should do it.

All you're doing is deleting time at a location where you are only going to affect the specific keyframes you want to affect. Putting these temporary keyframes in to the slide at the appropriate point reduces the chance that you're going to affect any other keyframes. Just delete the temporary keyframes when you no longer need them to avoid confusing yourself later on (as to what the heck they're doing there!).

Try that and let me know what happens.

Dale

PS If you tried to delete time from kf1 of the last slide it won't work That's because there are keyframes to the right of slide 24's kf1 (located at 17s). So, what's happening is that time is being deleted between those slide's keyframes located at 16s and 17s (after deleting 1s from layer 1 as described above) and those kf's are probably merging. You can verify this by clicking on the little white keyframe indicator at the bottom of the slide options (it's between the little clock and the gear icons). This brings up the multi-keyframe editor. You can see the location of all of the keyframes this way. And it lets you know what keyframes will be affected if you removed time from one of them.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 am

As usual, Dale provided a quick and effective solution.
Had the style running as I needed in less then a minute.

For those wandering what is Carousel 5 Portrait Full ' , it comes from
FPVP ProShow Producer & Gold Styles/Transitions
http://fenimorephotovideos.com/proshow.html
You also get lifelong support at no extra charge.

Mona, thanks as well.

regards
pd
regards.
pd

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting