Low memory

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Low memory

Postby abi » Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 am

Publishing a show in DVD format, I get this message:

"Pro show has run out of memory and must be closed".

The message recommended to reduce the complexity of the show.

Is there a different solution?
Can I increase the amount of memory used by proshow?

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Low memory

Postby pd » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 am

regards.
pd

Postby abi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 am

I believe that the problem is not the lack of PC memory, but the maximum amount of memory used by proshow.

Postby heckydog » Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 am

Even if you have a 64 bit OS, PSP is still 32 bit software. So the max amount of RAM that is available is 4GB and from that you have to subtract the overhead used by the OS and other essentials.

You don't say how complex your show is so it's hard to judge if that's really the problem. Is it a 1 hour show with 3000 slides and a bunch of video or is it a 10 minute show with 200 slides and no video?

Joe

Postby abi » Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 am

My show is composed of about 300 slides and lasts about 1 hour.
By monitoring with "task manager" the memory used by Proshow, it seems that the problem occurs when the memory used by Proshow exceed 1 GB.
This occurs when two or more consecutive slide using complex styles, otherwise the memory usage is always much lower.

Postby tdew » Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 am

This may or may not be helpful, but have you tried restarting the computer and maybe disable a lot of the things that run in the background?

Postby cherub » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 am

I don't really know why this is happening, but here are some of my thoughts:

1. What size (in MB) are the pictures used in those complex styles? Consider resizing them to less if they are too large.
2. Close all other applications that might take away from the memory (antivirus, firewall, browser, etc.)
3. Consider publishing your show to DVD ISO, and then burning the show with a 3rd party program, such as the free ImgBurn, or any other burning program that supports the iso format.

Postby abi » Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 am

I give you some answer:

1. the average size of my pictures is approximately 6 MB; it could be a good idea to resize them
2. I think the problem is not due to other applications because the error message explains that "As with most Windows applications, ProShow is limited to a certain amount of memory usage. With current shows, ProShow is hitting That limit. ProShow After restarting you may try reducing the complexity of your show."
3. I'm already publishing in ISO format.

Postby heckydog » Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 pm

300 X 6MB = 1.8 GB. That could easily be the problem. Since the pics will be down converted for the dvd render, you could probably reduce the pics to about 1.5 MB each without any loss of quality in the final render.

Joe

Postby abi » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Unfortunately I think this is not enough, as the amount of memory used rears suddenly with some styles of some slides.
In general, the amount of memory used decreases, in other cases, the problem occurs.

I believe that the problem is due to a combination of some styles used.

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

I generally recommend against reducing an image's memory footprint unless you really have a compelling reason to do so. Normally it's not necessary.

Some styles are complex and can add a hefty memory requirement on the program. When your program starts getting close to 3GB or so, you're probably going to experience a crash. That's when you need to look at what you are doing. In the case of the more complex styles, you might have to work with a different style or reduce the memory footprint of the images used on that slide.

You might run the task manager on top of the program and observe the amount of memory used over the course of the rendering. This way, you can tell what part of the show is causing the crash. Then, you can go to the "offending" slides and make any appropriate adjustments.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby abi » Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm

To solve the problem I changed the order of use of some complex styles, since the problem occurs when Proshow exceeds 1 GB of memory usage. This seems to work.

Postby janneke dust » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 am

With a 64bit systeem try this :
http://maketecheasier.com/increase-memo ... 2011/08/13

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting