Problem with gradients on the final video

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Problem with gradients on the final video

Postby jessicapc » Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Every time i make a video with a gradient on top of a photo, when i export, the final version stay like this:

Closer:

It gets this circles, like it doesn't blend on the conversion. And when i watch the preview on PSP it's normal.

I can't find a way to fix it, i tried other formats, other qualities, but it always stays like this.

I don't know if is just with me but can somebody help me? thanks

Re: Problem with gradients on the final video

Postby debngar » Thu May 02, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't know for sure if this will help but try applying blur to the gradient to see if it gets rid of the banding.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby tdew » Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Have you tried changing the type of gradient? Maybe try plasma?

Postby jessicapc » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi, thanks for replying to me :D

I tried putting blur on the gradient, it worked, but i had to put blur at 100% to lose the circles.

I tested with plasma, there's no problem. But i like to use the radial gradient when I work with photos, and i think it's the only one with the problem. I also once tried doing the gradient on a png on Photoshop but i don't think it looks the same, so i prefer doing it on ProShow.

Do you think there's any other way besides the blur?

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 03, 2013 2:11 pm

jessicapc wrote:I tried putting blur on the gradient, it worked, but i had to put blur at 100% to lose the circles...
...Do you think there's any other way besides the blur?

I'm not sure why this happens to gradients, but it most definitely does. I've used gradients in Photoshop and found exactly the same problem. There's something about how a gradient is created that causes the problem. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby jessicapc » Sat May 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah, i think i will have to use the blur on gradients on proshow or put the photos on proshow already with the gradients made in photoshop :(

But, if anyone have another solution please reply to me, thank you all for the help. :D

Postby debngar » Sat May 04, 2013 1:58 pm

If you haven't gone through this task yet, set the blur on one gradient in the Adjustment Tab then right click over that setting box and choose to "copy blur to other layers" and tick the similar gradient layers in the other slides throughout the show, then the copy & close button. This avoids having to change the setting on every gradient, one at a time.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Debbie, for some reason I always forget to do that kind of thing until I'm at least 2/3's of the way through a repetitive chore. Right-click, Barbara! :D

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

jessicapc wrote:Yeah, i think i will have to use the blur on gradients on proshow or put the photos on proshow already with the gradients made in photoshop :(
But, if anyone have another solution please reply to me, thank you all for the help. :D

I'm afraid that there is no other solution than the ones mentioned above.
There is definitely a problem with radial gradients (and sometimes linear too), that don't look good when converted to video. I guess that the problem is somehow related to the low resolution of the video itself, that makes the transition from dark to light and the transparency, not as gradual as it should be.
But just to put your mind to rest, I've watched very carefully how things are done on TV, in commercials that use gradients. The circles are visible there too :cry: , and that is probably the reason why they are used very rarely.
The gradients that work the best are the linear ones with an angle. Plasma gradients work well too, but are not always suitable for the effects that we have in mind.
Sometimes, several gradients, one on top of the other, may also achieve the desired effect.
You have to experiment, and see what works the best for you.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 05, 2013 2:59 am

I've inspected gradients in Photoshop by blowing them up, and lo and behold, banding is in pretty much all of them. For some reason, they aren't gradually shaded from dark to light or color to color. I've had to use the blurring trick in there, too, and it requires heavy blurring. When possible, which isn't very often, I've built my own gradients from scratch in Photoshop. So that's an option, albeit beyond annoying.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 am

I believe we see the rings in a mask, because there is only 256 'shades' of the colour used in the mask, in a 24 bit colour system. By using a blur we hide these discrete changes between one shade of grey, say, 128,128,128 and 129,129,129.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 05, 2013 4:33 am

That may be true in a grayscale mask, Brian, but banding is still evident when the gradient is simply an RGB image.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sun May 05, 2013 5:09 am

Yes, what I wrote was also referring to backgrounds made of a gradient layer, and not to masks.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting