Presenter not installing Problems

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Re: Presenter not installing Problems

Postby cherub » Wed May 15, 2013 9:45 am

Using Internet Explorer I got the following message at the bottom of the page:
"This webpage wants to run the following add-on: Presenter ActiveX Control Module, from Photodex Corporation".

You are given the option to Allow or to Deny.
After clicking on "Allow", I could watch your show with no problem.

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks, Mona. I appreciate your taking the time to check. I get that message on some sites, but not when I go to mine. So it is apparently an issue at my end. Glad to be assured that IE 10 visitors to my site can see it (even if I can't :D ).

Thank you

Edited to add:

Just found the answer on the Photodex website:

http://kb.photodex.com/67/is-presenter- ... ompatible/

Short version - it will not run under a 64-bit browser. Must use 32-bit version.

Postby cherub » Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Luke_Miller wrote:Just found the answer on the Photodex website:
http://kb.photodex.com/67/is-presenter- ... ompatible/
Short version - it will not run under a 64-bit browser. Must use 32-bit version.

Interesting stuff.
This explains why we have a double installation of IE on our computers. (both as 64-bit and as 32-bit)

But, I didn't do anything in my installation of IE to choose to view things in 32-bit.
Why does your browser choose the 64-bit version, while mine defaults automatically to the 32-bit version?

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Wed May 15, 2013 6:04 pm

cherub wrote:Why does your browser choose the 64-bit version, while mine defaults automatically to the 32-bit version?

With Internet Explorer 9 both a 64 bit and a 32 bit program installed when the Windows operating system is a 64-bit version and we could pick the one we wanted to use. As I understand it with Internet Explorer 10 there is only one program. It appears to default to 64-bit configuration when installed on a 64-bit version of Windows. When the "Enable Enhanced Protection Mode" block is checked in the Advanced Tab of Internet Options only 64-bit plug-in are allowed to run (AKA 64-bit mode). If that block is unchecked and the system re-booted 32-bit plugins are allowed to run (AKA 32-bit mode). Apparently many popular plugins (like Presenter) are only available in 32-bit versions since apparently relatively few users are running IE in 64-bit mode.

Postby cherub » Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes, I understood that, but things are still unclear to me.

I went exactly through the same process as you: I got my Windows 7 64-bit with IE 9, and updated to ver. 10 only last month or so, with all the Windows updates. The process was automatic, and I never did anything to choose what version should be used in each case.
What I'm asking is why my IE 10 installation uses (automatically) the 32-bit version when Presenter is needed, while yours doesn't.
As I wrote before, in my settings, the "Enhanced Protection Mode" is enabled.

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 am

Mona

I have no idea why this is the case. The only way I discovered the effect of the "Enable Enhanced Protection Mode" switch was after a Google search. In my installation it was automatically enabled. Only by turning it off and rebooting was I able to get any 32-bit plugin to run.

When I went to my wife's PC (Windows 7 64.bit) which is running Internet Explorer 9 64-bit I found the same problem. I don't know if my Presenter video never played on the 64 bit version of IE 9 or if an update caused the issue later. By launching the 32-bit version of IE 9 the problem is resolved on her system as well.

Previous

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting