Video Cards

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Video Cards

Postby magray » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Just upgraded to Producer 5 and computer keeps crashing with NV4_Disp.Driver has stooped working. Running Windows XP with NVIDIA.GE FORCE FX5500 is this not good enough.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Video Cards

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm

I would check to see if you have the very latest driver for your video card and that you have a sufficient amount of RAM installed. You can find the latest GeForce driver here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Good luck :wink:

Dan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 am

If an updated driver doesn't resolve it, you should contact PhotoDex Tech support and see if they are aware of an issue with that card. As a last resort, you can turn off the hardware acceleration in PSP which should fix that.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby magray » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks Dan, updated video card driver and touch wood seems to be holding up.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:03 am

For what it's worth, there have been a number of issues with the Nvidia drivers recently and it is not just Proshow having issues with them. Over in the Sony Vegas forums, some folks found going back to a previous version of the driver fixed the issues. Not everybody seems to have the issues, but there have been quite a few complaints of having to swap driver versions around (including reverting to previous versions) for the Nvidia stuff that it is certainly not an isolated issue.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby weldr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I started to have problems last weekend. Vertical tilt with a border and/od drop shadow started causing all kinds of wierd effects. I have a GeForce GTX550 Ti with driver version 306.97. Photodex is aware of the problem. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 am

This problem with nVidia drivers has been going on just long enough that I've now advised my son, who will be getting a new computer, to go with an AMD card. What a shame since it's my understanding that the nVidia cards are, themselves, top notch.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 am

Yeah, well ATI (AMD now) are not without their issues either. A couple of years ago, I decided to install the latest drivers for my card. Following the ATI instructions to remove any existing driver before installing the new one, I removed the old drivers. The new ones would not install. No useful error message, simply would not complete the install. Repeated a number of times. Hours spent Googling around found others with the same issue but no answer. I finally purchased a driver un-installer for $10 or so that said it had cleaned everything. Still took several more attempts to get them to install. Ended up taking 2 full days to get the new drivers installed for my ATI card (and I'm used to installing/uninstalling stuff all the time). Highly irritating :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 am

Oh, I feel your pain. Long ago, Windows willy-nilly updated my ATI driver and the result was a massive crash that led to having to poke at keys blindly to shut down. I ended up having to call my tech for help, and he had to fuss and fume with things for quite some time to get it all back to rights. The experience taught me to NEVER let Windows update things automatically and to never update my card drivers unless there's just cause, and that only with great care. Currently, my AMD is functioning flawlessly. We all know the old rule: If it ain't broke...

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Don, you'll want to fall back to 301.42. That's the latest driver that doesn't cause the problems you're seeing. All of the more recent ones are really causing screwy problems.

There may be even more problems with the NVidia card. I just had an apparent problem disappear when I switched to a Radeon card... What a pain.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

im42n8 wrote:...I just had an apparent problem disappear when I switched to a Radeon card...

I made that switch with the machine I got a year ago and I have to say this video subsystem has been a lot more stable -- so far <fingers crossed> :)
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby weldr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Thank you Dale. Downloaded, reinstalled...problem solved. I'll let Jared at Photodex know. I found out I had set automatic check of updates. Will change that. Couldn't figure out what I had down to cause the problem so abruptly. I love this forum!!! Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby cherub » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Don,
Just to let you know - you are in good company :D
It happened to me too, although I don't have Windows Update set to automatic. :D
The last time when Windows offered updates, it also gave a "Critical update" for something related to the video cards.
It was not offered as a driver update from NVidia, but something from Microsoft. That's why it confused me, and I chose to update.
At first I thought nothing of it, but then, all of a sudden, I started seeing double in Producer :D
Shadowed tilted layers just broke in two halves. :D :D :D
So, I quickly reverted my system, and everything returned to normal.

Yes, Photodex are aware of this, but, it's not sure when we'll see a fix for it.

Postby Diane48 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 am

So glad I read this post.
In the last few weeks I have been making a Christmas Memories slideshow and having all sorts of problems with slide styles that I had purchased thanks to Mona and Jennifer. Tilted images were breaking up as they entered, sometimes into 4 pieces. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX560 and usually things run very smoothly. I didn't give the Video card any thought but after reading the post I held my breath and reverted to the previous driver. Now everything is running smoothly again and nothing is breaking up into strange shapes. All of my beautiful Christmas slide styles are working A1.
Thank you all :)

Cheers, Diane

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 pm

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 310 in my desktop, with "current driver" installed which is allegedly the 306.97. (My computer says 9.18.13.697 but the auto detection on the website says I am up to date).

I've been designing a slideshow but the new styles with multiple layers and panning movements display jittery while previewing the playing back during the design phase.

In Preferences, I've tried both the "auto" GPU detection box ticked and unticking that box (so that the other boxes are ticked below that instead) and it seems to display the same way. I have a green bar at the top of that window too. Also, both target size and fallback rendering settings are set to 1920x1080, if that makes any difference.

I deleted the show's pxc file after switching the GPU setting, closed the program entirely, then reopened it and the show to regenerate the pxc file. Nothing seemed to help the playback. :(

Is there anything else that can be done to make shows using the newer slide styles playback smoother other than not using the fancier slide styles? My computer is about 1.75 yrs old and has plenty of RAM on Windows 7, 64-bit. Unfortunately, my video card only has 512 MB though and I don't think that can be augmented.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting