Problems with cr2

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Problems with cr2

Postby guillerfer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 am

Hello.
I have problemas when i try import cr2 files.
Is there any plugin o solution for this?.
thanks,

Re: Problems with cr2

Postby heckydog » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:49 am

The CR2 extension means it is a Camera Raw file that is normally edited in Photoshop and then saved as a jpg file. Your camera should have created an equivalent jpg file. If you don't have Photoshop or don't know how to use the RAW editor, just use the jpg file with the same name. PSG won't recognize a CR2 file extension.

Joe

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I am not sure what problems you are experiencing. However, according to ProShow documentation the CR2 format is supported. However, also as stated, most RAW files need some type of processing, either color corrections/balance and most importantly sharpening.

Take a look at this page to get the formats supported and also note Photodex's warning about RAW formats.
http://kb.photodex.com/197/what-file-ty ... r-support/

Sorry I can't be of more help with this other than to say give Photodex a call.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby jlwilm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:15 am

Same problem,

I have a Canon 30D and a 50D. I sent a raw image file to the Photodex support team a long while ago and hoped they would fix it. I can see the thumbnails, but when try to add the picture to the show, I get "An error occurred while importing . . . . ."

After that I purchased PSProducer 4 and 5 and still no solution. They ain't gonna do it, so export/save as to jpeg.
John

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 am

heckydog wrote:The CR2 extension means it is a Camera Raw file that is normally edited in Photoshop and then saved as a jpg file. Your camera should have created an equivalent jpg file. If you don't have Photoshop or don't know how to use the RAW editor, just use the jpg file with the same name. PSG won't recognize a CR2 file extension.

Joe

Joe,

If the camera is anything like my Canon 5DMII, it will only save to jpg along with the RAW file if it's set that way by the user. I agree, use jpgs, one way or another, because RAW files are not the most pleasing to view on the screen without further processing to add sharpness and detail to get rid of the flat, dull tonal qualities that RAW files often have.
~~~~~~~~
I recommend to those trying to use RAW files to create your slideshows.... don't. Create a set of full size jpgs from the RAW files instead after applying some post processing to them to make them look better. Use something like Lightroom or Photoshop, or whatever editor you choose. Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) RAW files are not always that nice looking even when exposed properly.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby jlwilm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 am

Debbie,

To further your point, even those applications that will show/display RAW files, rarely - if ever - access the XMP (Photoshop) files where the RAW "edits" are stored, and so do not incorporate the changes from the RAW Editor process. My workflow is exactly as you describe, - process in Lightroom, Export, Access in PS Producer.

What I don't get is that programs like Picasso (Google) and IfranView do it quite easily and ProShow can't seem to get it right.
John

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 am

Windows doesn't show raw files in folders, just an icon. ProShow's primary function isn't to be a photo editor or viewer like Irfanview or Picasa. Why blame ProShow for that? IMO using post-processed exported jpgs is the better option, that we can agree on at least.

I see it this way:

Choose to use RAW in ProShow = undesirable results :(
Choose to use JPG in ProShow = desired results. :)
Debbie

Postby Bart_B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:21 am

debngar wrote:Windows doesn't show raw files in folders, just an icon. ProShow's primary function isn't to be a photo editor or viewer like Irfanview or Picasa. Why blame ProShow for that? IMO using post-processed exported jpgs is the better option, that we can agree on at least.

I see it this way:

Choose to use RAW in ProShow = undesirable results :(
Choose to use JPG in ProShow = desired results. :)

Debbie is absolutely correct in every respect. A lesson I have learned in life is when the wind is blowing use a sail, when it's blowing into your face fire up the outboard motor. Meaning of this great piece of wisdom???? Don't fight the wind.

Bart

Postby jlwilm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 am

Umh, not blaming, just kvetching.

My point is Proshow claims the capability, does not yet support it for a 30D (purchased in 2006). I know they have caveats, but 2006?

Letting go know, but would be interested to know if anyone can get their RAW images in (as advertised/claimed)?
John

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:53 am

Bart_B wrote:-snip A lesson I have learned in life is when the wind is blowing use a sail, when it's blowing into your face fire up the outboard motor. Meaning of this great piece of wisdom???? Don't fight the wind.

Bart

Yes, sometimes using the motor is helpful, but many times better to just adjust the sails, go with the flow and spend energy on better things. :D
Debbie

Postby Bart_B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:36 am

debngar wrote:
Bart_B wrote:-snip A lesson I have learned in life is when the wind is blowing use a sail, when it's blowing into your face fire up the outboard motor. Meaning of this great piece of wisdom???? Don't fight the wind.

Bart

Yes, sometimes using the motor is helpful, but many times better to just adjust the sails, go with the flow and spend energy on better things. :D

You have a point there! Depends on how bad you have to get where you are going :D

Postby bonalymac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 am

debngar wrote:Windows doesn't show raw files in folders, just an icon.

Windows will quite happily show previews for CR2 files, if you help it to do so.

I think Microsoft first issued a Raw Viewer in 2005.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8802

According to them at that time,
The Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer provides the ability to view, organize, and print photos captured in RAW image formats from supported Canon and Nikon digital cameras

The latest version is at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829. There is a long list of cameras that are supported

They state now

•The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats in Window Live Photo Gallery as well as other software that is based in Windows Imaging Codecs (WIC).
•Installing this package will allow supported RAW camera files to be viewable in Windows Explorer.
•This package is available in both 32-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_x86.msi) and 64-bit (MicrosoftCodecPack_amd64.msi) versions.
Colin

Postby debngar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 am

Good to know Colin! :D
Debbie

Postby Bart_B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:23 pm

bonalymac wrote:Windows will quite happily show previews for CR2 files, if you help it to do so.

debngar wrote:Good to know Colin!

No kidding! Thanks Colin, I had no idea. I shoot virtually everything in RAW. I hate to shoot RAW + JPEG because then I just have twice as much stuff to deal with.

Went and downloaded this and it works perfect!!

Thanks a bunch for the heads up.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

After spending LOTS of time reading up on the advantages and disadvantages of RAW vs jpg, I finally came to the conclusion that for what I do, JPG is the better choice (large/fine). RAW does have some advantages, however, the very few times I would actually take advantage of it just don't justify working with them for me. I have not regretted that decision (and have many thousands of JPGs from my Nikons). I just find life simpler using jpgs (although I do have one of the programmable buttons on my Nikon D300s set to give me jpg+RAW when I push it, so if I really want both, I can have them. Very seldom use it. One place where RAW does have an advantage is when you are set on daylight white balance and go inside, forgetting to change the white balance (or the reverse). Since I usually leave the white balance on "Auto" (I do switch to Daylight for sunset pix or other strange lighting conditions), that usually isn't a problem.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting