Problem with animated gif

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Problem with animated gif

Postby obeeone » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi all

I sent Photodex what I thought was a bug in the latest version but they couldn't see the problem in the file I sent them and suggested that I reinstall, doing all the usual things shutting down anti virus etc etc. This didn't solve my problem.

THE PROBLEM:
I loaded a show that I had made in version 4.5.2949 into the latest version 5, the second last slide and the last slide of that show both have the same animated gif in the slide as a layer, it is only the last slide that the problem shows up in. The last slide has a dissolve transition "in" on the animated gif layer and when played there is a magnified version of the gif which flashes on the screen for a split second as the slide plays. I have discovered that if I make the layer transition a CUT transition as it is in the second last slide, it doesn't occur but if I make the layer transition anything other than a cut transition the problem occurs.
The strange thing is if I drag the Playback Bar across that slide the magnified image doesn't show up, it is only if the slide is played that it occurs for a split second. The fault also shows up in a dvd rendered ISO file.
I have put that slide into a show of it's own and saved it in the new version and the problem still occurs when played. I then made a completely new show using various animated gifs and they all do it if they have anything but a cut transition on the gif layer.
I have found a work around by adding .001% of either Horizontal or Verticle tilt to the gif image it stops the problem from occuring. It's so weird !!!!
I would love to know if anyone else can reproduce what I have happen. I'm running WinXP home sp3 and
ver 5.0 3188

Regards
Carl.
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Re: Problem with animated gif

Postby heckydog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Do you have a sample of the animated gif or a link to one that causes the problem? There's different kinds, with and without transparency, different quality levels, number of colors, that type of thing. I have W7 on this machine but I do have XP on my old computer.

Joe

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Carl,
You are right !
There is a bug with animated gif with layer transitions. I can see it on my computer too.
BUT only if GPU acceleration is OFF.
If it's ON, I don't see this problem.
Is this what's happening on your end too?

Postby obeeone » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Mona

Thank you so much I thought I was going mad, but you are right I turned on the GPU acceleration and the problem is gone. Do you think it's a bug in the program and should I contact Photodex again?

Carl

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Yes, it is a bug.
If you report this, make sure that you state the problem as I stated it.
This will make it more clear for them.

Postby obeeone » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

G'day Joe

See Monas Post.
Here is a link to the gif I first had the trouble with.
http://www.graphicsgrotto.com/animatedg ... iens21.php

Carl.

heckydog wrote:Do you have a sample of the animated gif or a link to one that causes the problem? There's different kinds, with and without transparency, different quality levels, number of colors, that type of thing. I have W7 on this machine but I do have XP on my old computer.

Joe

Valued Member

Postby Fongie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 am

Wow! I've had this same exact problem for a couple of years and just deleted the gifs from my show as a way of solving the problem. It still bothered me because I want to use some gifs. After searching ProShow Enthusiasts, I found this fix. I am so happy. Will try it when I add gifs to my Halloween show. This is the best place to go for solving problems. Thanks to everyone.

Postby cherub » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Fongie wrote:Wow! I've had this same exact problem for a couple of years and just deleted the gifs from my show as a way of solving the problem. It still bothered me because I want to use some gifs. After searching ProShow Enthusiasts, I found this fix. I am so happy. Will try it when I add gifs to my Halloween show. This is the best place to go for solving problems. Thanks to everyone.

Hi Fongie,

Bugs that are reported here in the forum, are usually specific to the version of Producer that was in use at the time of the post.
The original post was made in 2012.
I'm not sure how accurate this information is now, in 2015, and with Producer 7.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting