Unable to create menu with blu-ray iso

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Unable to create menu with blu-ray iso

Postby bwarnke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Based on what some users on this forum have done, I purchased a Seagate Freeagent Theater+ in order to create blu-ray iso files that I could play on it and avoid having to buy a blu-ray burner and blu-ray discs. But I have encountered a problem which I haven't seen anywhere else. When I create a blu-ray iso it does not create a menu. It doesn't matter whether it's just a one-show rendering or a multi-show project, no menu shows up. On a one show rendering the show will play in the player, automatically starting with no sign of a menu. On a multiple show blu-ray iso, usually the first show will play and then stops, no sign of a menu. Sometimes a different show will play, but I don't know why. When I watch the rendering, I can see the menu being created, but on the blu-ray it does it at the end, whereas on the dvd iso it does it at the start. Not sure if this is the norm. Since I don't have a blu-ray burner I have no idea if it would be any different on a blu-ray disc. I don't see why, unless I burned directly to a disc instead of creating an iso file.

If I render a dvd iso, it plays fine with menus, whether it's one show or multi-show. I have been in contact with Photodex and uploaded a show to them. They came back with things to check. I went through them all and rendered a new show, but to no avail. Still no menus. Again this only happens when I do a blu-ray iso. A dvd works fine. I haven't tried any of the other formats since the dvd one worked I've spent my time trying to solve the blu-ray issue. The single show blu-rays that I've been able to watch have been of excellent quality.

I'm running 64 bit windows 7 with a quad core q9300 cpu with 8 gb of memory. I have had no other problems with Proshow Producer and I'm running the latest version, 4.51.3003.

Anybody out there encounter this? And if so were you able to solve it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Bill

Re: Unable to create menu with blu-ray iso

Postby obeeone » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:54 pm

G'day Bill

I also have the same problem, "no menu". As you say you can see it being rendered but it's not there when you play it, the ISO it just starts. I am using Win XP quad core etc, etc, and ver 4.50-2949 of PS, so it's not just a Win 7 problem. It hasn't worried me all that much as I only produce BR ISO for us to watch on our HD WS TV and I always produce a DVD of the show as well to share with friends and relatives. I must say if you have a DVD player that upscales to 1080P then the DVD looks pretty good anyway.
I would still like to see if someone can come up with a reason why, it would be nice to have the menu on the ISO after going to the trouble to produce it.
I have also discovered that I can't open the BR ISO archive with 7-Zip but if it's a DVD ISO archive I can open it. I will need to investigate futher but at one stage when I created a BR ISO as well as the ISO archive file I got a file with an extension of .m2ts. Also the BR ISO archive won't play with the VLC media player but the m2ts file will and does look like it is in HD.
This is what it is shown as: bd_MPEG2_24.00fps_1080p_16-9_25Mbps_LPCM_stereo_48000Hz_16bits_1.m2ts.
Does anyone know what the m2ts file is?
It's all a bit confusing for an oldish bloke like me.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby bwarnke » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 am

Hello Carl,

Yes I am experiencing the same thing with playback with VLC. The file that will play is:

bd_MPEG2_24.00fps_1080p_16-9_25Mbps_LPCM_stereo_48000Hz_16bits_1.m2ts, which looks identical to yours.

It plays fine, but can't be controlled in VLC. Just plays, can't pause or stop. Only way to stop it is to close the player.
ISO file will not play at all in VLC. But again, a dvd iso will play fine and menus show up, but once a show starts I lose control of it, just like I described above, but the dvd iso is fully controllable on the media player.
As you say, the BR ISO file will play fine if it's only one show, so a menu isn't really needed. However if you're trying a multi-show project, it becomes a real problem.

Photodex is continuing to explore this for me, so I hope we can resolve it.

I see you've had some flooding in Melbourne. Hope you are ok. We've just been through a big snowstorm here in the Midwestern US, so it seems bad weather in the norm these days.

Regards,
Bill

Postby obeeone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm

G'day again Bill

Please let me know if you hear anything from Photodex. I will play around a bit more when I get some spare time with some test shows to see if I can come up with anything else that might help. I can see how it would be more annoying with multiple shows.

We have missed all the flooding, we are quite high up here I think if we ever flooded we would all need an ark. It's been an incredibly wet summer all arond the country. We have seen the coverage on TV of your massive snowstorm I'm glad it never gets that cold here.

Regards

Carl

Postby obeeone » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:46 pm

G'day Bill

Did you see in the new version of Proshow that one of the problems fixed is: "Fixed problem where Blu-ray output could include the wrong files" You can see the rest of the changes here: http://www.photodex.com/support/revisions/producer
I wonder if this could have anything to do with the ISO problem we are having? I am now out of my free upgrade period so can't test this possibility out, what about you?

Regards

Carl

Postby bwarnke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Carl,

I do have the latest version, 4.51.3003 and still have some time left before it expires, so I hope they get it fixed before then. Whatever they fixed in this version must be something else. I sent them a response to a question about being able to play the show on the computer over the weekend, so I'll have to wait for their response. I'll let you know when I hear from them.

Regards,

Bill

Postby bwarnke » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Carl,

I got a response from Photodex which really isn't of much help. They indicated that no one has communicated a problem with burning directly to a blu-ray disc so that is the best solution at the moment. Since I don't have a blu-ray burner that is not an option for now. They said they will continue to work on the issue. I suggested in a response that if the iso option for blu-ray cannot produce a menu for a multi-show project, it should be removed as an option.

Are Carl and I the only ones who have this problem, or are we just the only ones who are trying to play a blu-ray iso file on a media player? Anybody out there that has produced a multi-show blu-ray iso with all the proper working menus?

For now it looks like my only option with iso files is to produce it as a dvd iso file, since it properly produces all the necessary menus for a multi-show project, or just produce one-show files that can run without a menu.

Regards.

Bill

Postby obeeone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Bill

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure we can't be the only ones having this problem it would be nice to hear from others or at least someone who CAN produce an BR ISO with the menu.

Carl

Postby psychogramma » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi gentlemen,
I also use the same media player. Creation of BR iso skips the menu and any intro show. I don't have a br player/burner, but am able to mount and play the iso via VCL with PowerDVD. When played with power DVD the menu is there and functions properly as does any intro show.
It is only on the Seagate Freeagent Theater+ that the menu and intro are missing. I consider this an issue with the media player, not PSP.
My work around has been to put the shows in one folder in the order I want them to play. They will then play one after the other kinda like "play all" with a slight pause between the shows. To me it is worth this work around to get the better quality than with a dvd iso that has the menu.
Not any help to you but at least now you know the BR iso is complete with the menu when produced.

Cathy

Postby obeeone » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 am

G'day Cathy

I doubt it's the Media player as it does it on other media players I have tried, eg Western digitals media player, maybe it's media players in general. Cathy, when you produce a BR ISO do you also get the extra m2ts file produced? Also how do you go about playing the BR ISO via VCL using power dvd?

Thanks

Carl

Postby psychogramma » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Carl,
Had to run some tests here as I usually dump any extras that come along and could not remember anything specific to the br iso production.
The only file I get when I produce the br iso is the iso. If it has other files packed inside it? I don't have a can opener for it. :-)
To play the BR ISO on my computer. I first mount it with VCL. Then open Power DVD (I have downloaded a trial copy for testing. Not all versions of PowerDVD will handle BR) and choose the drive from the "movie" menu. It does take a bit to load and play, but it does play and include all menus and intros.
I usually produce the ISO as a 1080p with the highest quality. A red warning comes up on the right in PSP telling me that it will not play on some machines.
I just ran a quick test of the 1080i at its highest setting and it has the same results with menu etc not playing on the theater but does play with VCL and power DVD with all its extras.
To me this says that PSP is properly producing the BR file, but the theater lacks the ability to play it properly.

Good luck!
Cathy

Postby obeeone » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi again Cathy

Thank you for the info. The m2ts file I refered to is produced outside of the BR ISO archive file, so I always get both. Both will play on the media player and the m2ts file will play in VLC where the BR ISO archive won't, both appear to be HD and neither have the menu.

Really weird

Carl

Postby bwarnke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Cathy and Carl,

I had thought about the workaround you described Cathy, but wasn't sure it would work that way. It looks like for now at least that's the only way to watch multiple shows in blu ray on a media player. I think I may have misinterpreted what they originally said about the blu ray iso files. I believe they are saying that if you burn an iso file to disc, it will work properly. I had originally thought they said no blu ray iso file would work. Of course without a blu ray burner, that option isn't available. So I'm going to try your method Cathy, of rendering each show separately and then putting them in a single file. Right now that's an acceptable trade off to get the better quality. Thanks for the tip.

Bill

Postby psychogramma » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi Carl,
Going to show my stupidity here.

YES the m2ts files are produced in a data folder for the show. I was testing to a folder on my desk top with shows from another drive. Saving the iso to the same test folder. The data folders are in the folders where the psh files are located. Separate folders for each show.
Going to try one other approach if I have time later. Will let you know if it works.

Cathy

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm out of the country until next week so I can't test this out to see what the results are, but I know in the past I was able to create a project with multiple shows burned as Blu-Ray onto standard DVDs. One project in particular had about 11 or 12 shows so I had to break it down into two DVDs to make it all fit, but it worked.

Once I return home I can see what settings I used for those shows, as well as try to create a new project using the current version of Producer to see what results I get. I do slightly remember having a small issue with the menu on those older projects in that some of the thumbnails were not displaying correctly even though they had been set during the creation process. I did eventually get things sorted out, but it's a been some time so my memory as to what I did is a bit fuzzy. I just remember being able to play those DVDs with the aid of a menu. Hopefully taking another look will bring back some thoughts on the process.

I'll check back early next week with my findings. Sorry for the wait.

Mike

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting