Producer problem with creating PC Executable File

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
MikeS

Producer problem with creating PC Executable File

Postby MikeS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:17 am

Hi I'm only new to the forum. I have have used Proshow Gold for a while and created a number of shows and I have been mainly using it as a PC Executable file (as I found this to be almost fool proof for anyone wanting to see the show on a PC). Last weekend I upgraded to Photoshow Producer and created a couple of new shows. The step up to this porgram was great and I thought the new shows I created were a step up from before. When I went to save the show and create the output ie a PC Executable file it went through the motions and came up with the command "Unable to write to the specified target file. The disc may be full." The hard drive isn't full - by my check there is over 50Gb spare. Tried creating a much smaller show ie 3 slides and the same message comes up. Tonight I unistalled and re-installed the program to no avail - same message. I have contacted Photodex a few days ago but have had no answer to my query. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks MikeS

Re: Producer problem with creating PC Executable File

Postby texan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I had a similar problem recently and discovered it was Norton's anti virus causing the problem.......

If you're using the new NAV 2011 this is the culprit.........

PM me and I'll let you know how I fixed it.......

Otherwise I won't bother you with the details
Texan

Postby nikitangel » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:00 pm

In case someone else finds this thread like me - I was getting the "Unable to write to the specified target file. The file may be unavailable" error when burning an ISO, similar to the OP. After tearing my hair out for awhile, I had a 40-minute call with Photodex and the guy discovered that Cyberlink Photo Director had taken over the file extension "phd" on my machine, which f'd up everything in ProShow. Try making ProShow the default program for opening .phd, delete your proshow.phd file so it rebuilds, and things may work again.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:39 pm

That's a handy tidbit. Thanks for posting the solution. There is a similar thing that can happen that gets people excited with the template file (if you use templates). They are .pst files - windows thinks that is an Outlook file. Things still work correct, but it confuses a lot of people because they have the default of "hide extensions of known file types" enabled. First thing I do when I install windows is to turn that OFF so I see the filename AND extension.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting