WHERE is that slide?

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

WHERE is that slide?

Postby RoseW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:28 am

Locating exactly where on the timeline/slidelist a specific slide image is located presents a muddled condition.
A text layer indicates its a blank image when swooping across the slide/time line
To date I have been using the actual image file name because it begins with a distinct 4 digit number followed by m-d-y digits. That unique 4 digit number has been useful since the rest of the name is truncated in a thumbnail view. Finding a file within the slide show does not relate to the file number so I changed the preferences to use Slide Number.
IF I know the slide number that holds the image then the menu item 'go to slide' is useful. BUT from thumbnail to preview that info about slide number does not display or I'm missing how to have that info displayed.
I would think that the large preview could link to its location in the timeline when its in focus with a mouse click. A right click could have the choice 'Go to Slide'

I had a situation where one image indicated it was used 8 or 9 times and after much sliding up and down, looking at the layers and not discovering the use of this image I did a reverse operation and removed the image from the used thumbnail list . My idea was 'Now it will show up as missing'. The image wasn't in the show at all. The tag indicating the image was used was in error. Meanwhile I had checked about 175 files. This stimulated my thoughts to the database capacity of this slide arrangement.

But if a series of images is wished to be replaced, finding the location of the original image must have a more efficient procedure which I haven't discovered.
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: WHERE is that slide?

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Well, you can sort of sneak up on it from a different direction. The .psh file for the show is just a text file - you can open that with a text editor and search for the file name you are looking for. When you find it (or multiple occurrences), you can tell which "slide" it is in. The "cell" number is one less than the slide number (slide 1 is cell 0). Not necessarily the easiest, but it works.
For example, here is a line showing the image file used for slide 1 in a test show of mine:
cell[0].images[0].image=../Juanita_Bay_Park/Pictures/DC_090424_1250_34__Mikey-01.jpg

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:07 pm

gpsmikey wrote:Well, you can sort of sneak up on it from a different direction. The .psh file for the show is just a text file - you can open that with a text editor and search for the file name you are looking for. When you find it (or multiple occurrences), you can tell which "slide" it is in. The "cell" number is one less than the slide number (slide 1 is cell 0). Not necessarily the easiest, but it works.

mikey

I assume this .psh file can be open simultaneously in a text editor while the actual show is loaded in Producer.
In an otherwise quite skilful software this is a tad primitive method for searching IF a database is used within the software structure.

I had exported cropped jpgs in full resolution and discovered they resulted in 4 and 5Mb overall size. Finding and replacing those specific images has been just a treat.
I'll try having that .psh file open alongside in notepad++ the next time I cannot pin down the location of an image.
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Your words of 'sneaking up on it another way' had me reconsider the window view layout.
I changed the list of files from thumbnail to the filename list text view, click on a file and it shows in the preview.
RIGHT CLICK on that file name text listing and the 'go to slide' has the Slide List ....jiggle and bounce....arriving at exactly the slide containing that image.
When in thumbnail view this 'go to slide' does not kick in

The text view with preview alongside is not the most convenient when slide edit pop up box covers the preview. Often I'll have images that have prefix id numbers that might be one digit difference. So I guess if I have to do search and replace or just find again; switching to the text view of the image list is the solution.

The search item in a text editor(Notepad++) is 'bgimage' when using that text view of the psh file if looking for images used as a background.
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm

I had forgotten about the RIGHT click -> go to slide. It even works for multiple instances of the image "go to slide" goes to the next instance each time you select it. Easier than my method, but keep the fact that the .psh file is a text file in mind when you want to look for something else.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting