Producer not finding my DVD drive

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
tnhelen

Producer not finding my DVD drive

Postby tnhelen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Why would Producer not be able to find my DVD drive when collecting show files? I also tried to make a dvd and the software hung up on find CD/RW DVD drives. Of course I need the show by Saturday. I have the latest drivers and a NEC DVD drive. Producer's never had a problem finding the drive before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Helen

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:38 am

Helen

Have you tried the first step when something unexpected happens and deleted the def.phd and cpic.opt files from the installation directory of Producer?

Close the Producer program, navigate to the installation of Producer (Program Files > Photodex > ProshowProducer) and delete these two files. They will be recreated when Producer is restarted.

This solves many problems.

This also applies to Gold (except for the filename), the section you have posted in. :roll:

Brian

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Producer not finding my DVD drive

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:53 am

tnhelen wrote:Why would Producer not be able to find my DVD drive when collecting show files? I also tried to make a dvd and the software hung up on find CD/RW DVD drives. Of course I need the show by Saturday. I have the latest drivers and a NEC DVD drive. Producer's never had a problem finding the drive before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Helen

Helen,
I would try the following: Go into Control Panel/System. Open the Hardware Tab and go to Device Manager. Open the DVD/CD portion of the tree and Delete your NEC Drive from the Device Manager. Reboot the machine. Windows will find and reinstall your DVD Drive. This has cleared a lot of these random type anomalies for me.

HTH,
-Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:33 am

Definitely start with a reboot and see if windows can re-find the drive. Your
drive may have died, but start with the reboot. If it does find it OK, then see
if any of the other utilities you have for burning can find/use the drive - if
none of them can find it either, then it probably died. If utilities such as imgburn
(if you have it installed) or other burning software CAN find and use the drive,
the it may be a Photodex issue. Be aware that there are actually two "parts"
if you will of the drive - one can handle CD's the other DVD's (different laser)
and I have seen drives that can still handle one format, but go totally blind with
the other media also. The good news is that even if it died, new drives are not
that expensive these days (of course, it is even cheaper if you are buying it
instead of me :D )

One idea - depending on where you live etc, if it is a dead drive and you can't
get one in time, you can create an ISO file, put it on a usb flash drive if you have
one big enough to hold it and take it to a friend who can burn a DVD from an ISO
for you. That could give you a quick short term solution to having to have it NOW!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:40 pm

And if you do replace the drive -- get and install two if the case will handle it. They're cheap these days and it's always nice to have two of something that you're really dependent on.

Just my $.02 ;)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

def.phd and cpic.opt files

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Atta-boy Brian,
We gotta make it so that the terms "def.phd and cpic.opt files" are written on everyone's cerebellum. I can't think of anything that solves more varied problems with ProShow that the deletion of these "problem collectors".
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

tnhelen

Postby tnhelen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Thank you. The deletion of the dvd writer and reboot worked perfectly.

Also, appreciate the tip on the problem files that need to be deleted! Making a note of that right now.

Helen

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:32 am

You might want to take a look at this and if you know this post is there, you'll just need to remember where to look. :)
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=6261

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

tnhelen

Postby tnhelen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 am

Appreciate it.

Have saved it for future reference.

Helen

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting