PGP not opening a show.

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

PGP not opening a show.

Postby Tama » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 pm

I need major help with this one! Never had an issue like this before. I tried to open a show I created about a month ago as a promotional ad for my sons school. It opened the first time but took 10 min to load all the videos. I tried to play it and it stopped after the first four slides. Only 1 was a video. I tried to open it again and it gave me an error message of Compupic or something like it encountered an error and needed to close. It gave me a choice of debugging or closing. I choose to debug. It stopped responding so I closed, rebooted, and tried to open it again. The show would load half way and the program would close with no prompt from me. :? I can open any other show but that one. Did the debugging change something? I am running version 3.2047 and have windows xp pro addition, 2 gig of ram, pentium 4 processor. This one really baffles me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tama

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:58 pm

It doesn't matter for this but you posted in the PSG section, tho' you report having PSP.

First, take a deep breath and relax a tad ;). A little background on the files you'll find that are associated with a slide show:

showname.PSH.....That’s your show.
showname.BAK.....These are backup files for your show, this is the most recent.
showname.Bnn.....(nn = 2 digit number) These are previous backups.
showname.PXC.....That’s a cache of show resources.

Okay next thing to do is delete the cache file (PXC). It will be recreated as needed and occasionally becomes corrupt. Then try opening the show. If that doesn't work, try opening one of the backup files--you can do it directly or use the "Revert" option in the file load process.

One of those two things will fix the problem almost every time -- if it doesn't, be sure to post again with info on what happened when you did those steps.

Good luck,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:41 am

Tama

Dick has given the first steps to take. If these do not work, don't panic.

Exit the program and navigate to the program for Producer, 'Program Files>Photodex>ProshowProducer'. Here you will find two files 'cpic.opt' and 'def.phd', delete both these files. Restart Producer and these files will be recreated. Now try opening your show.

:!: Never delete the .psh file :!:

If neither of these work, come back to us again.

Brian

Postby Jerry Cole » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 am

Brian,
I often chuckle a bit when I see 'cpic.opt' and 'def.phd' deletion in an answer to a query ... no matter the problem, these files are often the solution. How many times have you personally advised this action? If only this worked as well with my golf game! :lol:
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 am

Jerry

That is my pet reply :lol: I used to have to look in the directory to find the file names ... I actually remember them now.

I can probably get round a golf course now in less strokes than I have given that reply.

I just try to beat Mikey to it now. One day we need to make the 'My show does not load .....', a Sticky. That would shut me up for a bit!

Brian

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Jerry -- guess what? It's part of a File FAQ post I just put up and Mike G made a sticky. How's that for prescience on your part!? 8)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

The Plot Thickens

Postby Jerry Cole » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Dick,
I guess its time to 'fess-up' ... a conspiratorial plot by Brian and me to get someone else to do the work! 8) :lol:
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Thanks a million

Postby Tama » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm

:D Dick, Typo, I do have PSG. I think I am going to give up doing shows for free. The stress and deadlines are killers! I did also e-mail Photodex and they gave me the same advice as here only you guys beat them to the punch. This one really threw me. I have been using PSG for about 2 1/2 years and have never had this issue before. When I first loaded the new upgrade I had 4 desktop icons pop up instead of the one that usually comes up after an install. That was weird.

Brian,
I actually have deleted a .psh file. OOPS won't make that mistake again. It was a show I did for an elderly gentleman of his decesed wife's life and trips they took together. 700 slides that I had to scan into my computer.
I don't really need to say more, I won't make that mistake again. :x

Thanks to all that have posted. I really enjoy the banter(hope it's spelled right).
This forum is awsome! At some point I will try to post one of my shows.

Tama

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Tama

Do assume all is OK again now?

Brian

Postby Tama » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Brian,
All is well again. :D It's really frightning when things go wrong with something I love to spend so much time on.

Thanks again for all the follow up.

Tama

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting