DVD

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
donny

DVD

Postby donny » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:05 am

I have made many DVD's with Proshow always burning the DVD directly from Proshow however the last time and every subsequent time the show renders but then I get the message " Failed in writing data to disc "
I then trnsferred the show as an ISO to Nero 5 and attempted to burn from there but get the following message "illegal medium" , " could not perform start disc-at-once ", "burn process failed".
I then made a small picture file which burns perfectly as a CD on a CD disc of course but will not burn as a DVD.
I presume that the DVD discs are not being recognised or the program is looking for a CD in spite of my request for DVD, would this make sense and if it does what can I do to correct it.
Many thanks in advance.
Don

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:07 am

Sounds to me like the machine has a problem writing DVDs regardless of what program is attempting it. To test that idea, try writing a data DVD with Nero--just put a blank DVD in the drive and configure Nero to write a bunch of files to it. If that fails, then the next thing I'd try is another brand/batch of blank media. Failure with another brand/type of media at this point would lead me to think I had a drive problem.

If the DVD drive is trouble, it could be a corrupt driver or hardware. Several things you can try:

-- disable the drive from the system entirely and then re-enable it
-- see if new drivers are available for it via the PC manufacturer or the drive manufacturer site

If you become convinced that the problem is with the drive you may just want to get another one and swap it, they're not expensive any more and a simple swap is easy to do with most PCs.

Good luck!

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:08 am

The most likely situation is your DVD burner has died -- it uses
different lasers to burn CD's and DVD's which is why it can
still burn the CD, but not the DVD. The fact that BOTH Nero
and Proshow fail to write to the media tends to point at the
burner as the problem. One other thing you can try is to
download the free imgburn utility (which is what I use all
the time) and try burning the ISO to disk with that, however,
I would bet that it will also fail (but it is a nice utility to have
and works very well - when installed, you can right click on
an iso file, select "burn with imgburn" and there you go).

The good news is that burners are fairly cheap these days :)

[edit] Dick brings up a couple of points -- I had assumed you were
running XP (in which case, in general, there are no extra drivers required)
and that you had tried rebooting.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

donny

Postby donny » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks to both of you for your speedy replies, now I realise that burning from Proshow and from Nero have only the drive in common then as both of you say then the problem must lie with the drive.
I will however download imgburn to further prove things then look to installing a new drive, this may have to wait until I return from a holiday in Cambodia due to start Monday.
Many thanks gentlemen and I will post again shortly
Don

donny

To Dick and Mikey

Postby donny » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:04 am

I had fallen into the trap of assuming that if I could burn a CD but not a DVD then the fault was with the software. I followed your good advice and downloaded IMGBURN and still had the same results as both of you surmised. A quick visit to PC World and with a new drive installed I am back in working order.
Thanks for everything,
Don
PS.
IMGBURN does seem to be excellent and will probably become my first choice, it makes things very simple when you have already got a file ready and you just want to burn.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:22 am

Glad it worked out Don. Two nice things about Imgburn - 1) if
you already have created an ISO (my usual method), additional
copies are easy - right click the iso file, select "burn with Imgburn"
and off you go. The second thing I like that Nero 5 does not have
(but apparently later versions do) is the checkbox to "verify data
after burning" or whatever it is -- it reads the media back and
verifies it burned correctly. Handy sometimes to validate your
process/media/whatever.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting