ISO file + EXE file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
jpculver

ISO file + EXE file

Postby jpculver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:31 am

Is there any way to include an executable show with the ISO file so that both are on the DVD?

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:26 am

Yes, there are a couple of ways to get there ( I am assuming what you really mean you
want to do is have a copy of the executable on the DVD as well as the regular stuff).
You can put it in a folder and there is an option when you create the DVD to include
another folder - I forget exactly how it is worded, but it is in the creation menu where
you can select another folder to include.

An alternate way (actually the way I do it) - I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio to create
the DVD with there stuff. Part of it allows me to "Prepare" a DVD to some folder
on the hard drive (it creates a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder and puts the stuff there).
I then use Nero to create an ISO using the Video DVD template and put the stuff from
the Prepared VIDEO_TS folder into the VIDEO_TS folder on the nero compilation, then
create an \EXTRAS folder in the DVD image and add any additional files (like the original
pictures, any exe I have created, notes and documentation etc) to that folder and
create the ISO. It now has both a DVD play feature as well as having the \EXTRAS
folder with anything else I wanted to distribute along with it. I do that all the time.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Barbara_K » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:51 am

The easiest way would be to select the 'PC Autorun' tab under the 'Create DVD Disc' menu. Then put a check in the box to 'include PC Autorun on DVD'. The executable will be included in your ISO.

The option Mikey mentioned to include another folder when creating a DVD is only a Producer feature--not PSG. PSG only has the option to include original show files.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby sihyp » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:11 am

I think multi-session recording should also work, as there is no need to burn ISO, EXE and other stuff simultaniously.
When everything is completed is important "finalize the disc", otherwise is possible old standalone dvd-players can't read the media.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 am

Does "autorun" actually include the exe or does it simply tell the pc to play the DVD ?

I forgot that PSG did not have the include folder option, but that is still not a big issue --
what you do if you want to do it (and autorun doesn't include the exe) is burn the DVD,
then if you have something like Nero, you create a "video DVD", copy the files from
the DVD you just burned to the "VIDEO_TS" folder in the Nero template, add the \EXTRAS
folder and put whatever else you want in there then burn that back to another DVD (or ISO).
That was what I used to do all the time when I had PSG ver 2.6 and before.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Barbara_K » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:09 pm

Mikey,

I don't use this option but assuming the PSG Help file is correct (which I wouldn't swear to), the PC Autorun option creates an executable:

The PC Autorun options let you add a PC Executable to your DVD. When the DVD is loaded into the computer, a PC Executable version of the slide show will automatically play; the user does not have to have DVD playback software on their computer. In addition, the PC Executable takes advantage of the higher resolution supported by computer displays, providing superior quality versus DVD playback on a computer.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:45 pm

Interesting -- from that, it does sound like it creates the exe for you as well.

mikey

Postby Scotty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:53 am

Hi,

As Barbara states you can include a PC executable file (and, if you wish, the original files) when you create
a DVD ISO file. I always use this method to provide the recipient with the option of playing the DVD on TV
or on a PC. No DVD playback programs are required on the PC and the executable plays automatically.
The images are vastly superior on a computer compared to TV due to the higher resolution etc.

I find that using this one step method for rendering ISOs (plus bitsetting and NERO burning) makes for simple
and reliable creation of DVDs (plus executable) creation.

Scotty

ISO file + EXE file

Postby berane » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:50 am

Scotty,

Very interesting note re creating a DVD including an exe.file. I´m in a situation right now where I will present my show using a LCD-projector. Besides I will sell (ie the congregation I belong to) a DVD as well. Since I know that many of the people who will buy the DVD are computer-savvy they sure will appreciate to watch the show on a PC, since, as you note, the images are much better on a PC screen.

How, in detail, do you achieve this? Can I use the built-in program in PSG or will other programs perform better? I understand I will start with an ISO-file since I will burn many DVDs. I´ve access to Nero 6.6 Reloaded, Imgburn and Ashampoo Burning Studio 5. I would appreciate your comment.

berane

Postby Scotty » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Berane,

First, I have to say I have no experience in presenting shows using an LCD projector.
However, I can assure you that you can create a DVD that includes a PC Autorun exe file
using the built-in program in PSG. It is the only way I know how to do this and is relatively simple.
It is beyond my ability to provide a detailed explanation (due to the many options that can be selected)
but I will describe the bigger picture and I'm sure you will be able to work out the details that apply
to your particular project.

Click on "DVD Disc" on PSG toolbar and follow the instructions on the "Create DVD disk" screen.
Create your MENU first then SHOWS (make sure "Include intro show" is NOT clicked).
OUTPUT OPTIONS - (make sure Audio option selected is PCM).
DISC BURNING - (make sure DVD writer selection is ISO file).
PC AUTORUN - (make sure to click in the box to include a PC Autorun File on the DVD).
When you burn your ISO file an Autorun.inf file and a Show.exe file will be created on your DVD as
well as the standard DVD files.

There are many other options to be considered when creating DVD plus PC Autorun disks. I suggest
you search this forum for detailed info on PC Autorun creation and the use of DVD+ disks/bitsetting
to increase DVD compatability with the majority of DVD players and NERO use if you are not already
familar with the program.

NOTE: Running exe files on older/sub standard/poorly maintained computers can be unstisfactory.
In my opinion a minimum of 1gb computer ram and a good video card with at least 128 mb ram
is required if there is much panning/zooming etc. in the program. The transfer rate of the DVD-ROM
is also sometimes unable to keep up with the audio rate required. This may be also caused by insufficient
audio buffering in PSG/PSP. Transferring the files to the computer hard drive can alleviate these
problems in many cases. Of course, most times your programs will run perfectly but I thought I
should point out these possible drawbacks.

Good Luck!
Scotty

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting