"DVD Creation Canceled" - possible solution

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
-=bb=-

"DVD Creation Canceled" - possible solution

Postby -=bb=- » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:20 am

I notice quite a lot of the 'solutions' to this problem appear to involve turning off the creation of video thumbnails whilst authoring the DVD (or ISO image) which is obviously not an ideal (or frankly, even acceptable) solution.

I was getting this error message as well and I tracked it down to a problem with DirectShow (quartz.dll).

I was looking at purchasing this product but since this problem has existed for over a year and PhotoDex don't appear to have addressed it and neither have they replied to my tech support emails I must admit to having second thoughts to investing $80 on a program when they can't even be bothered to spell check their error messages.

I have linked the tools I used to diagnose and correct the problem from my blog in case that helps anyone else here.

I would love to think that this was the definitive cause to the problem, but I would advise anyone to have a good look through the codecs they have installed if they are getting this error. Hopefully, this will also give Photodex a place to start looking to put a) some decent error handling and b) a fix in place.

Hope someone can solve this error on their PCs with this approach

Kind regards
bb

sclarke

What are the steps?

Postby sclarke » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 am

bb

I could not find the steps that you are using to fix the problem. Can you post them?

-=bb=-

Postby -=bb=- » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi sclarke,

I'm not sure if you want me to detail everything I did as a lot of it was dead ends. Once I suspected it may be codec related I ran the Sherlock utility to see what codecs I had. On my system this crashed confirming, at least, I had a codec issue but not necessarily that it was related to ProShow Gold (in this instance).

Codec Sniper allowed me to see (and delete) which codecs it considered broken and the filter manager let me re-register quartz.dll. I checked to see if it that had fixed the problem and it had.

As I mentioned in my 1st post, I'm not sure if it will be the same problem for everyone but I hope it offers something more concrete for others to follow up on.

I suspect (but don't know) that the video thumbnails use MPEG-2 which is what upsets a faulty DirectShow codec installation.

Kind regards
bb

Edit : Added MPEG-2 WAG

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting