Listening to music files with MS Vista

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Esteemed Member

Listening to music files with MS Vista

Postby Barnum » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:09 am

I transferred a lot of music files (og extension) to my new computer, but cannot click on the icon to hear? Any suggestions....tried media center, but that didn't seem to work either. I saved the files in My Documents.....

Want to know what they sound like before adding to show...

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:00 am

If you could hear the files on your 'previous computer' but not your 'new computer' my thoughts would say it is a missing codec. What audio software have you got load on your 'previous computer' that you have not loaded on your 'new computer' that may contain the codec?

Brian

Esteemed Member

Postby Barnum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Hate to sound stupid, but how would I know?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Barnum

What I was trying to say, but not very well.

You have transferred a lot of music files (ogg extension) from somewhere, I assumed a previous computer system. Could you listen to these files on that previous system?

Brian

EDIT: It maybe that you need the codec to play ogg files, from somewhere like this site.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Vorbis_Ogg_ACM.htm

Esteemed Member

Postby Barnum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Okay, I understand. Yes my old PC had XP operating system, and I was able to simply click on the music icon in "my documents" and listen. With Windows Vista I see the icon, but hear nothing when I click on the Icon. I am able to drag them into Pro Show Gold, but I would still like to hear them prior. Does what I am saying make sense?

Thanks for your help...

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 am

My suggestion is that you install the Ogg Vorbis CODEC from the site given. Your audio player on the Vista machine should then recognise the file and play it.

If this does not work, but I think it should, I'm out of suggestions.

Brian

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting