ISO and Questions

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Honorary ProShow PHD

ISO and Questions

Postby TinaJ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

I rendered (is that the right term) my beach baby video in ISO last nite, thinking it would be easier to make multiple copies that way. No problem, right? Well, once that ISO was made, how do I burn it? I tried opening Nero and using the DVD/video burn, but it said it was an unfamiliar format? I've read about IMGBURN here, so my next question is, if I add that, can I uninstall Nero? It is a space hog and I need all the space I ca get. I have had version 6 since I got the external burner, and it works on that as well as the internal I installed later. For some reason I thought I had to install it, like it was part of the drivers.
Now, every year I do a year in review of the 4 grandkids, each with it's own album. Would I create the 4 as ISO and then add them to the list to burn to one dvd? I think I saw that somewhere as I was desperately trying to figure out the ISO thing.

Another question: The only way I've been able to get a nice looking menu page with my own pictures and words is to go into DVD disk and do the render and/or burn. I'd like to be able to get that menu page when I share them at the photodex site. Can someone walk me thru that? I promise I'll copy and paste to my hints and helps doc that just keeps growing!!

Thanks for the advice, I was getting way too comfortable with MOT, and I'm enjoying the challenges presented in Proshow.
TinaJ

Re: ISO and Questions

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 am

TinaJ wrote:I rendered (is that the right term) my beach baby video in ISO
last nite, thinking it would be easier to make multiple copies that way. No problem,
right? Well, once that ISO was made, how do I burn it? I tried opening Nero and
using the DVD/video burn, but it said it was an unfamiliar format?

If you want to burn from Nero (at least with version 5.5 that I am using), when Nero
opens, if the wizard comes up, close that. From the menu, select File --> Burn Image
then using the dialog box that opens, navigate to your showname.iso file you created.
You may have to change the "file type" list to also look for "iso" - sometimes Nero only
looks for .nrg or something like that. Once you have navigated to the file location and
selected the file, you can burn from there.

You can also easily use the "imgburn" utility (which I actually prefer for iso's). It is
fairly small and will, in general, live on the same machine as Nero without issues.

I've read about IMGBURN here, so my next question is, if I add that, can I uninstall Nero?
It is a space hog and I need all the space I can get. I have had version 6 since I got the
external burner, and it works on that as well as the internal I installed later. For some
reason I thought I had to install it, like it was part of the drivers.

Imgburn and Nero do not have the same features - they overlap on handling iso files,
but imgburn does not handle making compilations of data, songs, pictures etc like
Nero does. I have not had any issues with them on the same system - if you are that
tight for space, it is time for a bigger (or second) hard drive. I have both on my system.

Now, every year I do a year in review of the 4 grandkids, each with it's own album.
Would I create the 4 as ISO and then add them to the list to burn to one dvd?
I think I saw that somewhere as I was desperately trying to figure out the ISO thing.

I am not aware of a simple way to combine multiple iso's into one that would
play as 4 shows on a player. You need to remember an "iso" is an image of
what is on the DVD including all the file structures etc. They can be combined,
but it is not a simple task and you still would have the problem of a menu to
select which one. You can burn multiple ISO's to a disk for storage since
they are just regular files until you use a utility like imgburn or Nero to "convert"
them back to a actual DVD. This detail confuses a lot of people - an iso file is
just another file until you use a utility to create a DVD again from it.
You can do what you are asking by combining shows in a project etc, but not
by combining iso's -- when you get to the iso, you have an image of the final
disk

Another question: The only way I've been able to get a nice looking menu page
with my own pictures and words is to go into DVD disk and do the render and/or
burn. I'd like to be able to get that menu page when I share them at the
photodex site. Can someone walk me thru that? I promise I'll copy and paste
to my hints and helps doc that just keeps growing!!

I am not aware of any simple way to include a menu created from some
other application back into the Proshow file that you upload to the sharing
site. Using an external application to take the output from Proshow and
building a fancy menu or adding additional features works very well for
when the output is a DVD, but trying to get that back into Photodex in a
format the sharing site can use, is probably not a trivial task (if it even
can be done)

Thanks for the advice, I was getting way too comfortable with MOT, and
I'm enjoying the challenges presented in Proshow.
TinaJ

Hope that answers your questions !! :)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Jerry Cole » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:16 am

Tina,
Ditto what Mikey said ... I have both nero and imgburn ... no problems. I do prefer imgburn for rendering ISO.
I have no clue on your menu quandry.

Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Honorary ProShow PHD

Maybe

Postby TinaJ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:39 am

I'm asking the wrong questions. Lol! When you click on the DVD disk icon at the top of the page, you get a menu page, where you can choose your layout-list or thumbnail. Aren't each of those a new show? Otherwise, what's the point? I've always just added thumbnail pics of each of the kids for their shows, each kid's show is about 15 minutes long, and I usually have some sappy song playing on the menu page, so while you are making the decision on which show to watch first, you hear that. I know, sappy right? But it's a grandparent's perogative. Anyway, that's what I'm looking to do, and I don't want to disappoint any of the relatives!
TinaJ

Postby Barbara_K » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Tina,

You can use the same menu when sharing your show on the Photodex site as on a DVD. When you click the 'Share Show' tab you get the exact same menu page as when you create a DVD. If you've saved your menu from the DVD you can open it on this tab also. You can also choose 'customize' in order to create a menu with your own background and music. Everything for the menu is done the same whether it is an uploaded show or DVD.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:10 pm

The answer is "D, all of the above" :D
It was not clear to me how you were creating the menu for the
DVD - it sounded like you were using another utility in which case,
my comment about not being able to use it on a "shared show"
applies. If, you are using the Proshow utility for creating the
DVD menu, then yes, you should be able to use it on the sharing
site. Many people, for various reasons, don't create the DVD menu
in Proshow. I usually don't either - I create the individual shows,
then import them into one of my video editors (Sony Vegas Movie
Studio in this case), create the full show with some added features
then use the Sony DVD architect to create the menu etc. Create
an ISO from there and I'm good to go.

What you will find is there are almost as many ways of getting
a show as there are people here on the forum - each has their
own "tweak" if you will.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting