Clicks and pops

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Esteemed Member

Clicks and pops

Postby Shaker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:55 am

For those of you who have clicks and pops which are not in the original soundtrack, here is something I probably discovered a year or so ago, and have recently had to rediscover.

Increasing the volume in PSG can introduce pops and clicks. As an example, I had these in a show on which I had turned up the PSG volume to 200. Reducing to 195 got rid of some, and by experiment, I found that I had to reduce it to 185 to get rid of all.

That sounds quite a reduction in volume, but changes in volume figure seem to overstate what the ear senses.
Shaker

rmchirico

Postby rmchirico » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:00 am

I hear pops when a soundtrack starts or during a track where I've edited a part even at volume 100. I thought that this was due to where I've cut a piece of the song out and the waveform phase is not in sync between the two newly joined pieces. I've assumed that there's probably a function within the editor that would correct this (I use audacity) but I've never figured it out. I've wondered whether using the PSG function of setting start/end points in the track causes this phenominon. Anyone have any insights or experience with this?

Thanks

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:42 pm

If anyone has figured out a cure, they're keeping it to themselves! Frequent discussion topic and the only, sort of, fix that anyone has found is to overlap the audio tracks so there's always something data feeding the audio codec--silence works fine. The key is to overlap consecutive audio tracks and if you don't have something to overlap with, use Audacity (or another editor) to create a file that's silence and use that to overlap with.

I've seen this (or something with the same symptom) happen in software other than ProShow but in my experience it's most noticeable in ProShow.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting