Edit the audio in a movie clip

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Postby SSMAKER » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 pm

I don't know where I should post this - over at Adobe or here - but I'll try here first.

I have a movie clip that I downloaded from my camera in avi format. I want to fade out the last ten seconds of the audio. I can't see where in PSG that I can do that. I was able to do that in Adobe Premiere Elements 3. How do I get it from there to over in PSG? When I save it in APremE, it has a qualifier of ".prel" which PSG doesn't let me place in the slideshow. Do I export it somehow? And if so, what format?

Postby nannybear » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 am

Export or share as a mpg, mov or avi. If no one gets back to you I will look at APE when I get home. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby SSMAKER » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 pm

Maybe it would be easier to simply unlink the video and audio in APE and edit the audio in PSG. I figured out how to unlink the two in APE but can't seem to save the audio.

Postby nannybear » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi,

If you go under File - Export - you have a number of choices. I know when I am alpha keying the juice stuff - I export as movie and it gives me an avi that works fine...Hope this helps! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby SSMAKER » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:14 am

I see 5 export options in Adobe Premiere Elements 3: DVD, MPEG, Adobe Flash Video....., Quicktime, and Windows Media.

What specific option (and sub-option) works best for you in PSG?

Thanks for your patience.

Postby GordonHarris » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:04 am

SSMaker,
You should be able to do the fade-out in PSG. I've done this with a 2-second fade-out.
Once the video clip is in your slide show, in Slide Options, select Sounds and then tick** Custom Slide Sound Settings, and set Fade Out to the length you want the maximum allowed seems to be 10 seconds.
The problem comes at the ** stage. The only way I can activate the Custom Slide Sound Settings is to add a sound track in the Slide Sound box - just 'browse' to any sound file. Then when you've set the fade-out you want, go back to the Slide Sound box and click on the red cross to remove the Slide Sound you never wanted in the first place. It's a daft rigmarole and I don't know why Photodex haven't sorted this out, but this workaround has worked for me.

Gordon

Postby SSMAKER » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Gordon, thanks for the input.

I tried your method with a test movie and associated sound. I was able to make changes to the Fade Out feature (and the volume) in the Custom Slide Sound Settings, then I deleted the other sound clip, but it made no difference when I played the movie. There was no fade out and the volume was high. Maybe I am misinterpreting what ** means in your note? Could you clarify that?

Thanks again.

Postby GordonHarris » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am

The '**' has no special significance, I was just using it to flag the point at which the problem arises, ie when you try to access the Custom Slide Sound Settings.
On the broader issue, it looks like I gave you bad advice. I was sure I'd used this approach to apply fades, but I can't reproduce it now so it looks like I was wrong.
An alternative approach would be to strip the sound file out of your video clip (this can be done with the free VirtualDub program from sourceforge.net, which saves the sound as a WAV file). If you then add this file as the new Slide Sound, you should be able to apply the fade in PSG using the Custom Slide Sound Settings box; alternatively - this definitely works as I've done it in several shows - you can take the stripped-out sound file and apply the fade using Audacity, another free program available from sourceforge.net, and then insert the edited sound file as your Slide Sound. Using Audacity gives you the option of saving the sound file as an OGG file, which is smaller than WAV.
Gordon

Postby SSMAKER » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:00 pm

Well it sounded like a good idea at the time!!!

I'll unlink it and edit it as a stand alone clip.

Thanks for trying.

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting